Expression 3 and a etcnet2 video node

I work for a theatre in Iowa city Iowa. We were recently doing some cleaning and we found that we have a etcnet2 video node. I have done some research online and can not figure out how to hook it up or what exactly it does. The node came in a box with its power cable and a cat5 eithernet cabe. There were also 2 monotors with it. There is a eithernet cable that runs out of our expression 3 board into the wall. There is then an eithernet outlet down below the booth in the house with ETCNET written on it. 

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Will

Parents
  • Straight out of the box, a Net2 node will not work with an Expression III console (unless it was specifically configured as such at the factory or at some other time), as the console talks an older ETC Net1 protocol.

That said, it sounds like a new unit, just never hooked up.  The Net2 video node CAN be easily configured to operate with older Net1 (it's designed to be backwards compatible).  Usually there's a 3.5" floppy boot disk sent with the device that you run on the Expression after having connected the node to the console with a Cat5 cable.  You then re-boot the console with the node disk and follow the directions on-screen.

Having not had to actually do this in 2 years or so, that's all I can offer, as I can not remember the steps to convert a Net2 node back to Net1, but a call to ETC tech support will let them talk you thru it.

OR, if you need easy video at a design table, you can buy a 50ft. or so, computer monitor extension cable, plus a splitter and split one (or get 2 cables and splitters and split both monitor signals) of the console monitor(s) and get remote video "only" that way.  This is what we did when our older Net1 nodes died and we opted not to spring for new Net2 nodes. You don't get keyboard and RFU this way though.

On your system, with some Cat5 cables already installed, and/or if the run to the design desk is over 50ft and/or it's impractical to run cable direct, then use the node.

If not, I'll gladly buy it from you, as I have a Net2 system in my big space that could use a video node.

Steve B.

• Thanks for your help so far.

I'm still kida confused on what the node does. From what I have read on ETC's site I know that it can monitor the console. I'm assuming that you can also take control of the console because you can connect the RFU and a keyboard. Is this all it does?

• The node has 2 video ports for the 2 monitors and allows a lighting designer sitting at a location away from the console, to see on the monitor and what the console is doing, channel levels, cue timing, etc...

You can also hook up to the node a Remote Focus Unit, which is a smaller keypad that duplicates some of the command functions of the console.  This allows remote programming from the node location.  

With video and RFU connections all operating thru the node on 1 Cat5 cable, it saves you having to run separate lines for each monitor as well as an RFU cable ea. time you need/want remote operation.

SB

[edited by: Steve Bailey at 5:59 AM (GMT -6) on Sun, Aug 10 2008]
  • Will, while Steve's answers are precisely correct, it just occurred to me that you may not see why anyone would want a design table node.  You don't say what kind of work your theater does, but are you aware that there is a huge base of theaters where the person at the console has relatively little artistic responsibility for the show, but only operational duties on the board? When the lighting designer is sitting at the table with the node, he/she can save a lot of time by seeing what you are doing in the booth, instead of asking you what this or that level is. Of course, a talented programmer can save the designer lots of time by performing quickly and assistively.

Tim 

• Will, while Steve's answers are precisely correct, it just occurred to me that you may not see why anyone would want a design table node.  You don't say what kind of work your theater does, but are you aware that there is a huge base of theaters where the person at the console has relatively little artistic responsibility for the show, but only operational duties on the board? When the lighting designer is sitting at the table with the node, he/she can save a lot of time by seeing what you are doing in the booth, instead of asking you what this or that level is. Of course, a talented programmer can save the designer lots of time by performing quickly and assistively.

Tim 

Children
Related