Using My Dmx on the Express

Theres a new software that's called "My Dmx" and what came to mind was would it possable to use "my dmx" from a laptop and then pass a midi cable from the board to the laptop.  I'm on a tight budget so I downloaded the free software trial.   Would it still be able to work even though its a demo?

Parents
  • Well, what are you trying to achieve? 

First, it seems that without the MyDMX piece of hardware, the software isn't very functional.  Beyond that, if you intend to use it as a 3D visualizer for the Express, I don't think that will work either, especially over MIDI.  The Express only transmits/responds to GO comands and cue numbers over MIDI, there is no channel information associated with it. 

You might be able to use the actual hardware and the software to give you some visualization by using an opto-splitter to watch the DMX stream.  The 3D Visualizer does have an option for live input, but as for connecting through MIDI, I don't think you'll be able to use that at all.

• Thank you for your input.  It was something that I was wondering if it would work because I just started using moving lights and noticed that it takes up a good amount of the channels on my board.  That's why I wanted to attempt using it that way.  If I use a different page on the Express for the moving lights would that make a difference or would it make everything go out of whack?
  • Thank you for your input.  It was something that I was wondering if it would work because I just started using moving lights and noticed that it takes up a good amount of the channels on my board.  That's why I wanted to attempt using it that way.  If I use a different page on the Express for the moving lights would that make a difference or would it make everything go out of whack?
Children
  • Ahh...yes... Moving Lights do suck up quite a few channels.  I personally have only had to use movers on the express a handful of times.  I would say that yes using seperate fader pages would help you keep organized, but it is not going to make a difference on your overall channel count.

So if you just need to keep yourself from going nutz trying to remember where everything is, seperate pages are great.  If you need to find more channels because you're up against the wall there are some strategies to use that can help.  First, you can check if your moving lights have different modes, a good deal of movers have a standard and an enhanced mode.  Usually the enhanced mode gives more control, but you may not need all of that and it could save around 4 channels per fixture.  You could also make sure that you are addressing them as close together as possible so you don't waste channels on the holes in between.

If in the future you find yourself using movers a lot more I would suggest you look into a SmartFade ML.  I bring this up because it can be linked with an Express over MIDI and it will follow along.  So you could program your movers on the ML and your normal fixtures on the Express.  As long as the cue numbers line up the ML will follow right along with the Express.

Hope that helps.

Related