Using the touchpad

I just started using moving lights, well playing around with them and I was wondering how can I use to the touchpad on the Express? I've tried looking through the setup menu and no luck.  Also tried looking in the Manual and also no luck.
  • On the Express the touchpad can be used both like the intesity wheel or as an XY control.  You'll notice there are two smaller pads next to the larger one.  These control the sensitivity of the pad.  Depending on the age of your console, one should feel rough and one should feel smooth.  The rougher one is the low sensitivty control, and the smooth one is high sensitivity.

If you want to do anything but use the trackpad like a wheel, you need to use the Link List which will tell the console how to use channels together.  It is under [Setup] -> Channel Attributes.  I believe there is a softkey for Link List.

Under there you will need to create a Link per fixture that will link the Pan and Tilt channels together.  The Link number is just to reference the link itself and has nothing to do with the fixtures or the channels themselves.

• It should ask for a link number, so : [1][Enter] to start
    • Enter the X direction channel, probably you will want the pan channel for this lets say its 21.  So:  [2] [1] [Enter]
    • Enter the Y direction channel, probably tilt, lets say 23:  [2] [3] [Enter]
    • Then it will ask the type, and it would want no. 1 XY Position:  [1] [Enter]

Rinse and repeat.  Just so you know, this is in the manual.  Page 238 of your manual starts the section on link lists and page 9 talks about the trackpad control.  If you have an older manual or can't find it, you can download a copy from the ETC website under the express page Here. That is also where you can find various personalities as well.

• Quick Note....  Ellen White corrected me.

What is above is only if you patched the mover without using the Moving Light Functions  (last time I did this was for an assignment where we were not allowed to use the ML functions).

If you use the ML functions this is all automatic and you should be able to just select the fixture and it should give you XY control on the pad.  Remember to use the Fixture softkey and not channel when in Live.

• Thank you I highly appreciate the help.

Alfredo

Related