New Monitors for Expression 3

We are looking into selling our 2 monitors and buy some flat panels. I was wondering if any type of flat panel monitor will work.

Thanks

Will 

• Yea, any flat screen VGA monitor will work (480x640, 15 pin).  You can pick two up at a computer store (or craigslist.com) for $125 each.  At our TV studio, I have 2 mounted in the controlroom, and another 2 that I use when I move the Expression to another space.  Good luck!
  • One thing to add Will, sometimes an off-brand monitor may fail to automatically adjust to a console's screen output, resulting in the characters either touching the edges of the screen, or even being overscanned and getting chopped off. Usually, the screen's menu has an "Auto-Adjust" choice that will fix this quickly. Otherwise, you may have to adjust several parameters until you get the result you want.

You might want to consider whether you want an outboard ("brick" ) or built-in power supply for the screens. No doubt the former is cheaper, but if you ever move the console, it can be an irritation. You might also want to make sure that the screens can be dimmed for use FOH if that will ever happen. I seem to remember that some early LCDs couldn't dim enough, and had to have gel put over them. So if you're buying "used" to save money, check that.

Related