Express RFU distribution?

We just updates to a new Xe from our old Express which was the console the building was designed around.

By that, I mean we have a series of ports around the theatre linking to a dry-line that plugged into the RFU port on the console.

I can't track down any documentation, so I have no understanding of how this distribution is accomplished.

Would it be a static dry line?

Would it be distributed through an Opto like system?

(It's not like you'd use more than one RFU at a time, so I'm assuming it's a dry line. but 4 ports makes me question.)

Ultimately, the question is: can I re-purpose this wiring into maybe another DMX Universe or some such thing?

Thanks!

• If you call ETC tech support they more than likely have As Builts for your system. That said, it was wired daisy-chained, so it usually followed the same path as DMX IN into your system. In networked systems sometimes there was a RVI node (NET1) in the mix with a RFU port.

So, I bet you could....if you ONLY use one in and one out and good termination.

Bruce
  • Your RFU would be wired in a daisy-chain just like DMX. 1 end would most likely be the booth and the other end would be TBD (this is where the ETC job drawings would come in handy).
    RFU had data lines on Pin 1, 2, 3, and 4 so you could convert your Booth RFU port to a DMX-In and convert all the other RFU ports to DMX-Out. Same with ETCLink if you have that in your system {but with Link you will have the terminal end at the Sensor Rack and that would need to be ‘lifted’}.

www.etcconnect.com/.../Remote-Focus-Unit-RFU-Pinout-and-Cable-Installation.aspx
  • Just as a word of caution, double check the wiring! My system was originally a Colortran install where the RFU ports were supposed to be daisy chained. It was upgraded to an ETC RFU with some additional wire added to make up the difference in conductors used. It was not daisy chained. The wiring stars and daisy chains in weird ways. I have re-purposed some of the wiring for dry line DMX runs as you want to do, but to do it, I had to open up all the panels and trace a lot of wiring. It was worth it because of how the wiring was originally done, it has now allowed me to modify it to be more useful. In my case, the As Built drawings weren't accurate.
    John
  • Thank you everyone.

John, I've played your theatre years ago, I know how unique it is.
    We have the same issue with our As Built documentation. It's not always accurate and the RFU ports are shown, but the pathways don't make any sense & one port seems to dead-end.

Knowing how it works helps fill in the gaps of what it actually does.

Again, thanks!
Related