Erratic Trackpad

Just a quick post as ETC tech support is currently closed, and with no operators at that.

I've been dealing with a 48/96 board with a faulty trackpad for quite some time now. Only now is it a real issue, as the venue is looking to use a fairly large amount of moving lights in an upcoming show. This has been a problem since the board was purchased, apparently, and I'm curious as to what the options are as to resolving the problem. As far as the problems with the trackpad itself go, "erratic" is definitely the right word. Issues range from no response when used, to independently reversed X and Y axes, to no less than random output. At this point I'm assuming that it's a hardware fault, but a firmware issue may also be the cause. Would anything special need to be done after a reflash as far as programmed channel count, etc.

If it is a hardware fault, however, shipping the whole board to ETC, even though it is a stone's throw away from Green Bay, is rather impractical, and the layover would probably be at least a week, so I'm curious as to whether or not it would be possible to just get a new trackpad ordered and shipped over. The board is out of warranty, so installation would not be an issue. Alternatively, would it be possible to take a drive over to Middleton and get it serviced within a scheduled day? I would assume not, but if it is an option it's definitely worth considering on our end.

Thanks,

~Max

Parents
  • Our 48/96 has had a junk trackpad almost since we got it. It's probably just really cheap hardware, and we've more or less given up on using it. It will "wander" if it's ever activated, leaving us wrangling I-Cues and the like around the space trying to program focus points. Generally, we only use it to set focus points using the X/Y feature and then leave it alone. Often, I find that switching the trackpad to "FINE" (which is the lower of the two side squares) after getting it into rough focus helps a lot to keep it from flying across the space. We've never really considered repairing it. It's just a bad feature.
  • Our 48/96 has had a junk trackpad almost since we got it. It's probably just really cheap hardware, and we've more or less given up on using it. It will "wander" if it's ever activated, leaving us wrangling I-Cues and the like around the space trying to program focus points. Generally, we only use it to set focus points using the X/Y feature and then leave it alone. Often, I find that switching the trackpad to "FINE" (which is the lower of the two side squares) after getting it into rough focus helps a lot to keep it from flying across the space. We've never really considered repairing it. It's just a bad feature.
Children
Related