Express 48/96 Upgrade?

Hello,

I'm a TD at a public high school.  Here's our situation.  We have a well-worn, but fully-functional Express 48/96 console that has been around for some time in our current theater.  We are having a brand new theater built in the next 2-3 years which will include a brand-new state of the art dimmer and console system.  Woo hoo!  In the mean-time we have our good ole 48/96.  Can anyone recommend an upgrade to this board that would make sense.  I remember reading about Emphasis some time back, but It seems like that may be obsolete already.  At least as far as ETC's website is concerned.  Specifically, We'd like to do something to upgrade our board to work with moving lights a little more efficiently.  Generally, we'd like to do something to help transition us to new technology without throwing out our current board.  Which incidentally will stay in operation in it's existing space long after the new theater is built.  Any suggestions re: upgrades would be appreciated.

Thanks,

E!

Parents
  • Jakemembers,

I found myself in a very similar situation at a venue with a 48/96 last new year. I started researching an emphasis upgrade, having enjoyed working with the system at a much larger facility, but it turned out not to be the most cost effective or productive in the learning sense. We ended up going with an Ion 1000. This was comprable to an Emphasis upgrade in terms of cost, but we got a brand new, top-of-the line console right at the forefront of new console technology. While I don't want to get into a Ion vs. Congo Jr. debate (who hasn't heard enough of that), I would say purchasing an Ion and running it in Cue Only would give you just about the same programming experience you currently have (aside from the Obsession based syntax, which is very easy to learn) with a TON more moving light functionality. Also, if you're construction process is already in the works, see if you could possibly get in early on the bid for the equipment, thereby purchasing and using the console for your new space in your current one. This would also smooth out your transition when the time comes.

It mays sound like I am bashing Emphasis, but this is really not the case. I really do like the emphasis system, but with the current list prices, I would say go with the Ion.

Just my 2 cents.

-Nick

• Jakemembers,

I found myself in a very similar situation at a venue with a 48/96 last new year. I started researching an emphasis upgrade, having enjoyed working with the system at a much larger facility, but it turned out not to be the most cost effective or productive in the learning sense. We ended up going with an Ion 1000. This was comprable to an Emphasis upgrade in terms of cost, but we got a brand new, top-of-the line console right at the forefront of new console technology. While I don't want to get into a Ion vs. Congo Jr. debate (who hasn't heard enough of that), I would say purchasing an Ion and running it in Cue Only would give you just about the same programming experience you currently have (aside from the Obsession based syntax, which is very easy to learn) with a TON more moving light functionality. Also, if you're construction process is already in the works, see if you could possibly get in early on the bid for the equipment, thereby purchasing and using the console for your new space in your current one. This would also smooth out your transition when the time comes.

It mays sound like I am bashing Emphasis, but this is really not the case. I really do like the emphasis system, but with the current list prices, I would say go with the Ion.

Just my 2 cents.

-Nick

Children
No Data
Related