Express DMX IN / OUT

Can I simply use the DMX IN / OUT with two consoles and a single data line to control a large plot with a singular cue list?  

I have used MIDI to connect a Hog 2 (movers) and Obsession (dimmers) but each had a cues list sometimes with dummy cues.  There was also a programmer for each desk.  I don't want to follow this model as I am the only programmer.

I have access to an Express 48/96 (movers) and an Express 24/48 (dimmers).  Total of 288 channels.  How do I use one desk to control the other?

Parents Reply
  • With consoles having a DMX input (Expression/Insight, Smartfade, etc) it's possible to monitor and record the DMX output from another console.  With the Smartfade in particular, this is useful when you want a backup to your main console.  It's easy to record cues as presets on the receiving console to be played back if your main console has a problem during a show.  It does not allow you to increase the channel count of either console.

If you use both Express consoles, you'll end up needing to write cues on both desks at the same time... not exactly my idea of fun.  Using MIDI will make playback during the show much less awkward, but programming will still be a challenge.

Children
No Data
Related