Expression 3 Losing Data Cont'd

Matt ref your earlier. I am at theater and for some unknow reason, can't REPLY and keep this in thread!

Our board does have the two squat - looks like 1.0  F supercaps. Darn. Was hoping for battery. So what can we do? Although you said you can service/upgrade our EXP3 the thought of shipping this heavy beast is horrendous and we have a show in two weeks. But to get things started can you tell what it would cost to service/upgrade the board?

Other thoughts;

1 If I can get supercaps it looks like a board removal and cap replacement job (these caps lasted 20 years so that might be the least cost approach).

2. Or maybe you have complete CPU/PCB I could install.

Any/all ideas, and that quote appreciated.

Robert

Parents
  • Well, I do have a couple options.

If you'd like to replace the supercaps yourself, it looks like the supercaps we use are available on Mouser and Digikey. Eaton KR-5R5C105-R or Elna DBN-5R5D105T would be what you'd be searching for. You will need to remove the CPU tray from the console and I/O board to get the CPU board out of the tray to get access to the bottom of the board for soldering. There should be 6 nuts holding the tray in the console, and a bunch of wires. I'd recommend taking a picture of where all the wires go prior to unplugging anything. There are two supercaps you'd need to replace, so keep that in mind if you choose this option.

It's also possible to just send in the CPU tray with the CPU board inside, rather than sending in the entire console. It's not standard, but would be a lot easier than sending the entire thing. Write the serial number of the console, found on the back of the console, on the tray, along with the RMA number when you get that so we can keep track of what console the CPU tray belongs to. I'd be looking over the entire console and doing some general cleaning, should you choose to send in the entire console, though. Whatever you choose, I'd be replacing the supercaps with a battery.

A new CPU PCB would be a bit pricey, much more than the cost of sending the console in for repair, so I'm going to assume this wouldn't be an acceptable option.

If you'd like us to do the repair, we do have loaners we can send while your console is being repaired. I'd recommend calling ETC Tech Services for an approximate repair cost and get the RMA and loaner stuff going. We generally say any products sent in for repair we will proceed with any repairs up to $450 USD. Anything beyond that we will send an estimate prior to making any repairs. As long as it's just a couple bad supercaps, I'd say the cost to repair will be less than that.

• So here's the crunch. We need the board for a show in three weeks. If we did go with the send it in option can you estimate repair time? An estimated cost for the battery upgrade would be appreciated on the understanding that examination other costs could arise. There are  couple of used - in good condition boards on eBay and it might be more cost effective for us to go that route. Thank you for your here. We are sweating!

• Please call Technical Service  at 1-800-688-4116 and talk with them about the time frame you have. Also, you should identify an ETC dealer that you want tot run the repair though. If you do not have one, Service can help point you in the right direction. 

• In general, our turn around time is approximately three weeks, though I've seen shorter turn around times. And I can definitely provide an estimate for any other issues I may find.

As mmeskill has already stated, contact ETC Tech Services, as they may have additional solutions I may be missing, and to find an ETC dealer if you don't already have one. They may also be able to help with the show file on your disk not loading the subs. You can also request an Expression 3 loaner and have that available for your show, in the event your console doesn't get back in time. The eBay route is also an option. It would be a little more than the cost of repairing your console, but you would have a backup console (and parts!), should you need it.

• Thanks - this is excellent. I'm planning to pop in some new super-caps Thursday. But, as current show rehearsing is very nervous another theater has offered us an Expression 3 loaner (just in case!). After that (if the cap replace doesn't work) we'll balance paying for return repair when show over (using the loaner)  or putting the service cost toward a refurbed Element 2. I prefer the later because that would  provide 100% compatibility with our ELE2 in the main theater.

• Thanks - this is excellent. I'm planning to pop in some new super-caps Thursday. But, as current show rehearsing is very nervous another theater has offered us an Expression 3 loaner (just in case!). After that (if the cap replace doesn't work) we'll balance paying for return repair when show over (using the loaner)  or putting the service cost toward a refurbed Element 2. I prefer the later because that would  provide 100% compatibility with our ELE2 in the main theater.

Children
No Data
Related