Express Upgrade 2.0 to 3.11

Currently we have a Express with a 2.0 therefore the most it can go up to is 48 channels.

For an upcoming show we would really like to have the ability to go over that number.. Still though under 96 channels, which is what an upgrade of the software to 3.11

Here's the question/problem...:
Are there any risks when upgrading?

Also as I have heard that you lose all data on it. We already some of the shows cues recorded to the floppy in the board right now. If we upgrade will the disk (that we will be taking out with the cues on it) will those cues and that patch be compatible with this new version of the software that we are upgrading to?

If the software is not compatible... What can we do? use offline editor? or something else? 

Hopefully there will be minimal risks and that it will be compatible but I would like to hear from others knowledge.

Also if we do upgrade... the floppy that gets inserted needs to have those select files... i know that but is it ok to have them in a compressed folder (they came that way off the ETC website.) Do i keep the PDF files on the floppy?

If you have any insight please share it... We're being so cautionous as we're so close to a performance.

Thank you

[edited by: John at 12:43 (GMT -6) on Sat, Apr 18 2009]
  • You shouldn't have any problem updating from 2.0 to 3.11 software in regards to show file compatibility.  You can also downgrade back to 2.0 if you don't like the feature set of 3.11 (some of the buttons on the facepanel are repurpsed, specifically the solo button becomes focus point, and some softkeys move around.)

I've updated plenty of consoles to 3.1 software, and have rarely had any issues with the process that weren't related to another underlying problem such as bad disks, bad disk drives, or faulty power supplies.  

As far as what files you need on the disk, you will need to unzip them from the folder you downloaded, and have at least the [e2.bin] file on the disk for the console, and if you are running any ETC Net Nodes (dmx nodes, or video nodes, ) you will need to put the run.bin file on a disk as well and may need to run it as well after updating the console. 

One thing to remember is that once you save a show file in 3.1 format, you cannot load it again in 2.0 consoles, as they are not backwards compatible.  If you wish to keep them in 2.0 format, I'd copy them to another location first in 2.0 format, then load them as needed into the console. 

As usual, if you have any doubts as to the process, wait until you have plenty of time to troubleshoot or contact technical support for assistance. 

Good luck.

• So on the floppy do we need to put a folder with the two items in there. or can we just put the two files on the floppy w/ no floppy?

• Good Morning John,

please put them in the root directory of the floppy with them not being in any folder.

• Please put each file by itself in the root directory of a freshly formatted floppy.  That way you can choose what behaviour you want by putting either the console software disk (holding e2.bin) or the remote interfaces disk (holding run.bin) into the console.

If I understood your question above correctly, let me also caution you to save out your show onto floppy before reflashing your console to the latest software.  The update process can be destructive to what's currently in memory.  Plus, it never hurts to have a backup of your show!

Personally, I never suggest changing software in between programming and the run of a show unless it's absolutely necessary.  And if it is -- backup, backup, backup.  We do our best to make everything as safe as possible but that doesn't mean there's no possibility for error.

[edited by: Tracy.Fitch at 11:24 PM (GMT -6) on Sun, Apr 19 2009]
  • Yup thank you guys for your replies we decided to not upgrade until the next production..

Thanks so much! 
    :D 

Related