How many channels do I have?

I'm using a Express 96 and the screen shows up to channel 192.  The specs also say 192 channels (via keypad)  Does this mean there are OTHER channels I can access beyond 192?

With 4 martin 250K's eating up 17 channels each, you can see the problem.  Also, what's the logic in supporting 512/1024 DMX values if only 192 channels?  Help me Obi-Wan!!

Parents
  • Hi there -

Your console has 192 channels total. Channels 1-48 can be used via channel faders in two-scene mode; channels 1-96 that can be accessed via channel faders in single-scene mode; channels 1-192 can be accessed at all times using keypad entry.

I recommend that you place your Mac 250s in channels 101-192 and that you control them via the keypad. You could also patch them to channels 1-96 and control them with channel faders.

A theatrical console is designed to control dimmers. Very often in a theatrical show you have more than one dimmer patched to a single control channel so that many fixtures can be brought up on the same "handle". This is why a conventional theatrical console, like the Express,  usually has more DMX outputs than control channels.

I hope this helps -

Thanks -

Sarah

• Hi there -

Your console has 192 channels total. Channels 1-48 can be used via channel faders in two-scene mode; channels 1-96 that can be accessed via channel faders in single-scene mode; channels 1-192 can be accessed at all times using keypad entry.

I recommend that you place your Mac 250s in channels 101-192 and that you control them via the keypad. You could also patch them to channels 1-96 and control them with channel faders.

A theatrical console is designed to control dimmers. Very often in a theatrical show you have more than one dimmer patched to a single control channel so that many fixtures can be brought up on the same "handle". This is why a conventional theatrical console, like the Express,  usually has more DMX outputs than control channels.

I hope this helps -

Thanks -

Sarah

Children
  • OK,  So I guess then that IF I need two of my Mac 250s to "mimic each other then they can be on the same starting address (DMX speaking) ??  But this would be difficult for me if I need to have both directed at the same spot , since their XY values would not be the "same" the the same spot on stage.  Since I only have 16 channels left, is there an upgrade that allows me to "save all to disk" then restore all on a new console with more channels?

• I guess I'm not sure what the problem is on your system - you haven't described it. Exactly what are you trying to control and in what way?

Express shows can be saved to a floppy disk and the software is used on all Express and Expression/Insight consoles. There are a number of different ways you could have more channels. Which option you take depends on the answer to the above question. Tell me more about what it is you want to do and I'll see if I can help you out.

Thanks -

Sarah

• Sarah,

I do think we are on the right track..  I am familiar wich saving the show to disk, and in using the show in ETC Offline for example.  However, in the event that I need another console which allows more channels, (I have more moving lights and hazers coming), I was hoping to "backup" and "restore" the config from this console to a new one without having to repatch the lights, groups, fixtures etc.

• You would simply load your show from your Express 48/96 onto an Express/Expression/Insight console with more channels. The show on the disk contains all that data.

Thanks -

Sarah

• Sweet!

What's your recommendation for the console upgrade then? 

• That's where I need more info from you...

If the Express 48/96 works for you, but just needs more channels, then I recommend an Emphasis upgrade. Read more here.

If you don't need all the channel handles or specifically two-scene mode, you could go to an Express 250, Expression or Insight console.

Any of these would work depending on what exactly you want to do with the console.

I hope this helps!

Thanks -

Sarah

• One way to conserve channels with moving lights is to patch the pan and tilt individually but group attributes which can be changed universally into a single channel - to do this you'd need to address each unit uniquely and patch creatively. So the units can point in different directions, but they might all change colour the same way. If you needed to cheat a bit you could also record macros to park and unpark attributes individually (use park dim rather than park chan!) and link these macros to cues. If you wanted, you could also build profiles with reduced attributes, and patch the fixtures' individual attributes this way.
  • Wow!  That's an impressive hack.  There comes a point where the best solution is to sit down with the producer and explain to him that the only way he can get the most out of his movers is to buy a console that is designed to support movers.  When your rig outgrows your console, you gotta get a new console.  Of course you have to find a way to translate "get the most out of your movers" into dollars.
Related