Do (do) I (I) need (need) a (a) repeater (repeater)

OK a shameless subject I admit it.. However...

From my Express 48/96 I have a long DMX run to four Mac 250s then another long run to some other Chauvet ColorWash devices.  My problem is that the ColorWashes only work when they are "close" to the last Mac 250 but not at the far end of the DMX run.  Since I'm confident that the XLR cables are good, I think the DMX run is too long.

Does ETC have a DMX repeater that will boost the DMX signal?

OR..  Should I use ethernet to the Mac 250s (is this ETCNet???) then from the last Mac 250 I can DMX via XLR to the colorwash?

Please include prices on your reply

Parents Reply Children
  • The practical limit for DMX runs is 300m (~1000 foot). A couple of other things to check are :

- Is the cable 'Real' DMX cable, not Microphone cable or something else - the cable should be around 110ohm characteristic impedance

- Is the DMX terminated, as Sarah mentioned : 120 ohm resistor between + and - at the end of the line (pins 2 & 3 on a 5 pin XLR)

The Mac250s will not be ETCNet compatible, so you'll have to stick to DMX I'm afraid.

What is the actual fault that you observe - do the ColourWashes see no DMX at all, or do they behave eratically? As always, if you need more urgent help do feel free to contact your local ETC office : http://www.etcconnect.com/contact.asp

~Tom

[edited by: tomsteer at 6:18 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Jun 05 2007]
  • ooops :)

There was a problem with the "last mile" of the cable run.  I changed the cable and the ColorWashes are working with my Express 48/96...  Awesome!

Now then, on to the hazer!

Related