Dynamic Effects in Expression ECS

We've got an Expression 3 board hooked into an Emphasis server and I have been playing around with the controls tonight using the Emphasis Offline Editor, one thing that occurred to me the other day would be to use dynamic effects rather than cues to cycle the color scroller back and forth continuously in both our Source Four Revolutions.

I made a slight modification to one of the dynamic effect templates (in the Setup menu) so that it would sine wave the Clr1 channel up and down (for some weird reason Emphasis uses Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow channels by default in the dynamic effect templates, although they seem to be disabled and do nothing). After creating a dynamic effect, I have the thing working fine, although there is one strange behavior I have not been able to figure out with the help of the Emphasis console manual.

When activating the dynamic effect which is programmed to cycle the Clr1 channel on the two Source Four Revolutions (Fixture 1 and 2), the values go up to FL and then back down, but mysteriously it sits there a few seconds until it finally repeats the cycle again. Judging from what I know about the manual, I think it has something to do with the fact that there are multiple fixtures selected in the dynamic effect, but I have the offset and delay relationships set to All, which, according to the manual, is how they should be... is there something I am doing wrong here that I do not realize? I would like the dynamic effect to loop continuously without a long idle delay.

Because I am working in EOE, I obviously do not have the physical ability to see what I am doing with these fixtures, although I don't think that should matter for something like this...

Below is a screenshot of the dynamic effect properties...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

---landon 

Parents
  • Hi,

I have very little experience on the Emphasis system, but I think I know where the problem is.
    Dynamic effects usually "work" around a base value. Meaning that the value you have the channel at before you start the effect determines the base value. When you aplly the effect to that channel the effect will do it's "thing" (sinewave, step, etc.) on both values higher and lower then the base value. So if you have a channel at 0% and apply a sinewave on it, it will top at 50% and be at 0% about half of the time. But if the channel is at 50% with the same effect, at it's lowest it will go to 0% and at it's highest to 100%.
    So in your case I would suggest setting the scroller channel to 50% which probalby is close to the most middle frame and then apply the effect on it.

Hope it helps,

Oskar

• Oskar,

It seems that was exactly what the problem was. I didn't even think to check the base value, but by setting the channels at 50 and changing the dynamic effect size to 50, it worked

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

[edited by: lbgaus at 10:16 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Sep 17 2007] [edited by: lbgaus at 10:15 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Sep 17 2007]
  • Oskar,

It seems that was exactly what the problem was. I didn't even think to check the base value, but by setting the channels at 50 and changing the dynamic effect size to 50, it worked

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

[edited by: lbgaus at 10:16 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Sep 17 2007] [edited by: lbgaus at 10:15 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Sep 17 2007]
Children
No Data
Related