Emphasis keyboard problems

In our smaller theater, we have an Emphasis server (2.7.0) and Expression facepanel.  When the facepanel is powered on, I cannot use the USB keyboard that is connected to the Emphasis server to label things.  The keyboard is functioning and recognized by the computer (I can start other Windows applications like Notepad and type).

Once I turn off the facepanel, the keyboard works fine and I can label the show name, cues, subs, etc.

Anyone else have this problem?

-Todd

Parents
  • I may be incorrect, but as far as I know, a keyboard plugged into the Emphasis server never accessed the console/facepanel label functions.  You either need a 2nd keyboard connected to the keyboard port on an Expression II/III or Insight II/III, or and with an Express, need to do your labeling in the off-line editor. 

The keyboard connected to Emphasis allows only text associated with the WYG section in the Emphasis server, as well as any standard Windows functions, such as labeling show files, as well as functions in the Net2 Configuration Editor.

Not for nuthin', but this limitation always drove me nuts and is why I cannot wait to replace with an Ion.

Steve B.

• I may be incorrect, but as far as I know, a keyboard plugged into the Emphasis server never accessed the console/facepanel label functions.  You either need a 2nd keyboard connected to the keyboard port on an Expression II/III or Insight II/III, or and with an Express, need to do your labeling in the off-line editor. 

The keyboard connected to Emphasis allows only text associated with the WYG section in the Emphasis server, as well as any standard Windows functions, such as labeling show files, as well as functions in the Net2 Configuration Editor.

Not for nuthin', but this limitation always drove me nuts and is why I cannot wait to replace with an Ion.

Steve B.

Children
  • Steve,

I believe that you are incorrect.  I don't know what version of Emphasis you are running, but I have (sometimes) been able to use the Emphasis server's keyboad to label items on the console.  The problem I'm having is that is doesn't work all of the time.

Yesterday, we took the facepanel into the house for cueing.  When I restored it to the light booth, the Emphasis server's keyboard worked fine to label items even when the facepanel was connected and turned on.  Before I moved the facepanel to the house, I was only able to label items when the facepanel was turned off.

I'll have to see how it behaves today when I go back into tech.

-Todd

• "I believe that you are incorrect.  I don't know what version of Emphasis you are running,"

You may well be correct, as I've only ever had our Emphasis connected to an Express, and that may have something to do with the keyboard functionality, as Express doesn't support a keyboard.

Hoping Sarah chimes in here with some REAL answers, instead of my lame ones.

Steve B.

• Ah, clever trick to call me out by name, Steve! ;-)

I believe your original idea was correct - the keyboard connected to the server can only label items on the server, not through the direct facepanel commands. I'm a bit confused by the idea that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't though. My recollection is that you can label using that keyboard only if you use the virtual facepanel on the server. I recall always having two keyboards on my system - one connected to the FP, the other connected to the Server (those USB/PS2 to 5-Pin DIN adapters being the key accessory for a well equipped Emphasis system).

Is it possible that when the console is in the house someone is using the virtual facepanel to label things at the server directly?

Thanks -

Sarah

• Here's my understanding of the functionality:

You can use the Server keyboard if you are using the "emphasis" display> "console" "console screens" or "monitor" tabs.  

If you are using "console" you may have to mouse click to highlight  the window display screen with the command line.  

I frequently use this finctionality, and still will forget to highlight the window after jumping over to wireframe to move one of the fixtures with the mouse; typing the entire label only to have the console ignore me.

• Scott,

I will look at this- I don't use the WYSIWYG funtions of the Emphasis server, so it is always on the "console" tab.  Perhaps it is an application window focus issue- I know that at one point I was able to label things by opening Windows Notepad and typing, then switching back to the Emphasis application- although that trick did not work for me this week. 

-Todd

• sclausen said:

I believe your original idea was correct - the keyboard connected to the server can only label items on the server, not through the direct facepanel commands. I'm a bit confused by the idea that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't though. My recollection is that you can label using that keyboard only if you use the virtual facepanel on the server. I recall always having two keyboards on my system - one connected to the FP, the other connected to the Server (those USB/PS2 to 5-Pin DIN adapters being the key accessory for a well equipped Emphasis system).

Is it possible that when the console is in the house someone is using the virtual facepanel to label things at the server directly?

Thanks -

Sarah

Sarah,

When we had the facepanel in the house, nobody was using the server or virtual facepanel at all.  Since we don't have a keyboard connected to the facepanel (and never have- it wasn't part of our Emphasis package), we didn't try to label anything while the facepanel was in the house.

I think I see what you are getting at - if you use the facepanel to initiate the labeling, then the keystrokes from the server keyboard are not passed to the facepanel.  However, if you initiate the labeling on the sever using the virtual facepanel, then the keystrokes are read (since you're interacting with the Emphasis application directly) and you can label. Correct?

If that is the case, then that explains why it doesn't work (most of the time)- because I always use the facepanel to initiate the labeling.  Because our facepanel location in the booth is right next to the server and the server keyboard, I have been treating the server keyboard as an extension of the facepanel.  My question then is - why am I sometimes able to initiate the labeling on the facepanel and have the server keyboard work?  Maybe the fact that it works is a bug??

-Todd

• Having checked it this afternoon, with an Emphasis running current OS and with an Express 48 as facepanel, there are no circumstances where a keyboard plugged into (my) the server can be used for any text labeling in cues, submasters, groups or focus points.  The keyboard is not seen at all by the facepanel.  This includes all the assorted Emphasis tabs of console, console screen and monitor.

One thing I did not check is does the keyboard access the label functionality as described, when the facepanel is off.

Steve Bailey

LD/ME

Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts

Brooklyn College

[edited by: Steve Bailey at 5:06 PM (GMT -6) on Sat, Jun 6 2009]
  • I have an expression 3 as facepanel and I always use the facepanel to initiate labeling; works 100% as long as I have the right window highlighted as I described. 

Steve you may not be able to iitiate labeling from the facepanel because an express 48 does not have a label button, so it would have to initiate freom the server.

• Express allows labeling via the assorted arrows, just arrow to a Label column and type away.  You just have to do this in the Off-Line Editor, is all.

SB

• in the OLE you can also use the keyboard shortcuts to get labeling on the command line--it's still there and functional for express as well.

"B" is label

Related