Need to recover a show from a disk that has errors

I have a show disk from an Express 48/96 that I need to recover data from in order to create tracksheets.  The disk has an error I cannot work around to get it into the offline editor.  Any suggestions or resources would be greatly appreciated. 

• Can you read the disk in Windows ?, as in - can you open the disk and see a file with an .shw extension ?.

If so, copy the file to the HD and do an import to EOL from the copied file, and hopefully the file itself isn't corrupt.

If so, or if a disk read from Windows shows nothing, then you may be SOL.

Steve B.

• I can read the .shw extension file in windows and copy it but it says that there is an error in the reading of the file, but it is there it is not nothing.  The time and date stamp is correct, I was able to read that using the EOL to try and read the file direct into the editor.  Again there is some error in the disk information.

Thnx,

MkH

• Then I'm afraid the disk is probably dead.

A little background on floppy disks:
    The filenames and datestamps are stored at the start of the disk in a "File Allocation Table" (FAT), with the data itself stored elsewhere. This means that the 'filename' and the 'file' are actually seperate entities, stored in completely different places.
    When you delete a file, it doesn't actually delete the data, only the record in the FAT.

So it's quite possible to have a disk where the FAT is fine but the data is destroyed, or indeed vice-versa.

So just because Windows can see the filename doesn't mean the data itself still exists. (And vice-versa).

There is software that can 'clone' full floppy disk contents ignoring the FAT, and some of them claim to be able to at least partially reconstruct files..

However, if you've managed to get the file itself off the floppy and onto a hard disk, it may be possible to clean up the file if there's enough left.

[edited by: Richard at 6:55 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Aug 3 2009]
  • You could try chkdsk.  I've had luck in the past when it turned out to be directory corruption. 

Related