Expression 3 Disc drive fail

Hi All,

My trusty old expression 3 has decided to be less than reliable this week after taking it out of storage .

It's been working fine for a week and a half but yesterday it started to fail to recongnise the floppy disc drive .

So I have now no way to back up the show , or read/write to disc.

the chief lx had noted that the problem may have started when she inserted a disc to back up the show and the desk re-booted itself for no reason , but worked fine for a day or so after.

the ribbon is attached fine and making connection from disc drive to desk and theres nothing physically out of whack internally.

anyone come across this before?

JC

Parents
  • It may be that the power supply is outputting  too low voltage or getting weak.  Usually a sign of this is when you perform any disk function (including inserting a disk,) when the drive motor spools up, the console can suddenly and spontaneously reboot.

I'd have a authorized field service/repair tech take a look at the PSU and see if the voltage is where it needs to be.  At a minimum, maybe they just need to turn it up a bit, or you may need a new PSU. Contact your local dealer and they should be able to help sort you out.

Good luck.

• It may be that the power supply is outputting  too low voltage or getting weak.  Usually a sign of this is when you perform any disk function (including inserting a disk,) when the drive motor spools up, the console can suddenly and spontaneously reboot.

I'd have a authorized field service/repair tech take a look at the PSU and see if the voltage is where it needs to be.  At a minimum, maybe they just need to turn it up a bit, or you may need a new PSU. Contact your local dealer and they should be able to help sort you out.

Good luck.

Children
  • So I got another floppy disc drive and put it into the console , it recognises it , recognises theres a disc in it but all I get are Bad disc messages no matter what disc I put in it.

Might be a driver issue?

So it's not a power issue I don't think , also the screw I found bobbling around inside the drive may have dicked it a little bit ...........

Tried a third disc drive and same thing happened , have ordered another exact model from the web so hopefully that will work.

• I still suspect your power supply, as I've seen a low voltage from the PSU cause all sorts of weirdness with disk drives/boot issues.  The new drive(s) may not cause the board to reboot, as it may not be drawing as much juice from the PSU as the older/more used drive. 

I would still try to contact ETC tech support at 1-800-775-4382 or your local ETC dealer/service center for more direct support.

Good luck.

Related