Obsession 2 date, time, keyboard.

I have been having a problem for sometime now with the date and time on my Obsession 2. It always reset and will not save the next time I start up the board. Even past shows times and dates are not correct, but when set for the correct date and time it is saved to the hard drive. Is there anything I can do to fix this or should I have it sent in? As for the keyboard, it does not register that one is plugged in.

Parents
  • andrew, if you can buy the BIOS battery locally, you can probably replace it (gently) yourself. You may or may not find the BIOS data gone, but see if the board boots up and allows you to set the date and time after the battery is replaced. As far as I remember, there is a BIOS data restore utility on the hard drive. But it's not clear whether you are comfortable operating your console in DOS mode. I presume that the keyboard you're talking about has been successfully plugged into the Obsession II in the past-so you know the keyboard is OK. Do check whether it's old enough to have a toggle switch on the bottom to change mode.

• andrew, if you can buy the BIOS battery locally, you can probably replace it (gently) yourself. You may or may not find the BIOS data gone, but see if the board boots up and allows you to set the date and time after the battery is replaced. As far as I remember, there is a BIOS data restore utility on the hard drive. But it's not clear whether you are comfortable operating your console in DOS mode. I presume that the keyboard you're talking about has been successfully plugged into the Obsession II in the past-so you know the keyboard is OK. Do check whether it's old enough to have a toggle switch on the bottom to change mode.

Children
  • FYI, soon your processor will loose it CMOS bios info and get stuck at the "Hit <F1> to enter setup...." screen at boot-up.  This message is only displayed on the debug screen (you have to plug a screen into the back of the processor to see it). 

The result is your board wont boot-up.  The face-panel just hangs with the ETC logo.   The work around is to move a display to the processor, and plug the keyboard in, and move past the prompt to continue booting.  Or leave the processor on.

Related