ETC expression 3 vs. expression 2x

Can anybody tell me the differences between an Expression 3 400 and 2x? besides that Expression 3 has encoders......

All responses are greatly aperciated!!!

[edited by: lightingguy1 at 5:53 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Jul 13 2010]
Parents
  • So Lighting Guy 1 

I am going to run you through what I know, and I apologize ahead of time for anything thats wrong as its been a while since I've sat at the Expression 2x.

The 2 desks run on the same software, as the expression 2x was upgradeable to the 3.1 software.  

The expression 2x can have 200 more channels than the 3.

Beyond that, I think a lot of what you originally paid for was the added moving light functionality, but like I said, its been a while.

In what sense are you looking to know this info?

Hope I could help,

PJ

• Well...... I'm trying to decide weather I should purchase an used Expression 2x  or expression 3

• As difficult as it is for me to say this, honestly I wouldn't buy either one; unless, a) it was priced significantly below fair market value [as determined by searching sites such as those listed here], and b) I could not foresee adding any additional equipment within the next five years.

At one time, ETC did make a Moving Light Module to provide the 2X with the encoders of the 3.  Link to advertisement.  (Note that I have no association with the item or vendor and am providing the link for informational purposes only.  Personally, I find that price outrageous, and can't imagine anyone ever spending that much.)

EDIT: Since I have an idea of your intended use, this KnowledgeBase article may be helpful.  I didn't know that not all 2X's didn't come with MIDI capability.  Or does the article only pertain to 2's and not 2X's?  Likely, in that the 2X was not introduced until 1996, right?

[edited by: derekleffew at 11:44 AM (GMT -6) on Wed, Jul 14 2010]
  • Is there anything wrong with an ION or Element?

Reply Children
  • To be honest, yes. I'm so use to using an Expression series line console, I think that the transition would be very rough.................

• I'm with Derek on this one and I would not be spending money on a used Expression when for a bit more cash, you can get an Ion. Used Expressions and Insights of various flavors are on usedlighting.com, for between $5000 and $9000, where as I believe an Ion 1024 is around $8000.

I'm a long time Express/Emphasis user (12 years) and had no issues switching to the Ion.  Buttons are different, syntax (needing to hit Enter) is different, but the learning curve is fairly flat.  That plus you get so many more features in an Ion and the improvement to moving light control is so far in advance of Expression that once you start using it, you'll be crying out about how bloody difficult Expression was and how simple the Ion is.

Nice thing is you can trade up, getting one (or no) touch screens now (which add a huge amount of functionality, especially with movers), adding them as budget allows, then add fader wings as needed and you'll never need to be hunting for floppy disks !.

Steve Bailey

Brooklyn College

Related