Expression 3 "slave" to Expression 2x for programming

Hello to all on the ETC forum,

I'm new to this forum, so Pleasee forgive me if I make a mistake.

For an Upcoming School show, Would it be possible to have an Expression 2x act as an RFU? By this I mean, Could I have the Expression 2x setup in another location, and be recording cues and n such?

Thank you for all of your help!

• No.  The consoles don't provide for Master/Slave/backup functionality.

From what you are asking, you want the cues written into the 2x be simultaneously written to the 3 ?.

The big question is Why do you want to do this ?. When you record in the Expression/Express/Insight series, all data is stored internally, as well as to 3.5" floppy DISKS, noting the plural, as in at least 3, provided you write to disk.  There is no internal hard drive, as on Eos/Ion. 

If you want the 2nd "slave" console to function as a backup, simply load the disk that was recorded on the "Master" into the "Backup".

Unless you have something else in mind.

EDIT: and unless you have the DMX line at the 3 and wanted the 2x to feed thru the 3 while writing to the 3 for later playback ?.  More info needed.

Steve B.

[edited by: Steve Bailey at 7:02 PM (GMT -6) on Wed, Sep 8 2010]
  • Actually, I wanted to have the 2x down at the directors panel so I could have remote access( recording cues an all)  to the Expression 3.

• Does the Expression Series support midi notes, maybe this is an option in that it will mimic all of the keystrokes? I'm not sure if it's possible on this console, but I've used it on other consoles to do something like this.

Eric

• I would simply move whatever flavor of Expression you desire to the design table and run a DMX line

SB

• erock said:

Does the Expression Series support midi notes, maybe this is an option in that it will mimic all of the keystrokes?

The Express(ion) series can use MIDI notes, but only for the triggering of submasters, not every keypress of every key on the facepanel.  It can also use MSC, but again, not every key.

As SteveB said, put whatever console wherever, and use sneaker-net to move the most recent show file to the other (via 3.5"HD floppy).  A DMX merger may be desirable, to combine the outputs of both consoles on an HTP basis.

[edited by: derekleffew at 10:22 AM (GMT -6) on Fri, Sep 10 2010]
Related