I need help on a Insight3

I'm trying to program a chase in the submaster on a Insight 3. Does anyone know how to program it to "fade" from 1 channel to the next? Or can this not be done.

Parents
  • The fade times on the steps are listed as In and Out  times in the effect

[Blind][sub][#][enter][Step][#][enter] brings you to one of the chosen sub's step, from there you could use the arrow keys to navigateto the In, Dwell, and Out columns to modify the fade times as desired.

As an example:

Step       Channel              Time     In      Dwell    Out    Lo    Hi

1            | 36                        | 6        | 1       | 4         |   1    |  0  | FL  

2            | 35                        | 6        | 0       | 6        |    0    | 0   | 50

One cycle of this would fade channel 36 in on a 1 count, hold it for a four, fade it in 1, then snap channel 35 to half for 6 seconds.

If you need to add different channels at differing levels in the same step, leave the Hi set to Full and use the [at] key to assign selected channels to a particular level within the step. This is particularly useful for me when I'm setting simple chase effects on movers, for example, but could also allow for a step in an effect to be a replication of a scene.

• I'm not sure what your referring to with Hi & Lo. I use the Insight at the theatre  I do shows at. I kinda don't know how to program a chase. And the whole even fading from one color to the next, that confuses me and the TC thats been working there for ages. 

To be honest, I dont remember seeing any way to adjust any times at all.

The way I was told is to record my look.Lets say I want to have a chase on the backdrop from the cyc lights.. R/G/B. He would get into it for me on mistake, lol, then tell me to make my scenes by bring up the faders and hitting the submaster button. Don't remember much after that. Other then we went back into the submaster list, selected Type and hit 3 for effect. Then I think it was a rate time and something else.

BTW, no moving lights or any specials is controlled from this board. Just stage lights SF's & Cyc's.  I have the SFML for my movers.

Just need a easy quick way to do this, so I can use it in the xmas show and make a recording cheat sheet. I've tried to understand the manual, but I can't understand all the mumbo jumbo, sry. Not to mention, I only have 2 days to record both the Stage lights and Moving lights for a show.

• Joe,

Take a look at what JHarpur said regarding building an effects sub.   The only thing you'll need to do first is go to [Blind] [Sub] (whichever sub # you want) [Type] [3] [Enter] [Record] [Enter].  This will make the sub an effects sub.  An effects sub can be chase, or whatever step-sequence you'd like it to be.  It all depends on what channels are in each step.

The caveat here is that you need to record often.  The Insight will flash with "Not Recorded" as long as you have changed data that hasn't been stored.

Also, make sure your console is in Sub Mode -- this button is immediately to the right of the submasters towards the top of the console.

Some quick definitions:

Hi is the High level of the channels in the chase -- this is for each step.

Lo is the Low level for the channels in that step when another step is running.

Time is the overall time for the step before it goes to the next step.

Dwell is how long that the channels will hold at their Hi state.

In/Out times are the fade times for the step, much like cues.

To follow the above example:

When Step 1 is running, 36 fades to FL (in its Hi state) in one second, holds for 4, and fades to 0 (its low state) in 1 second.  35 is at 0.  

When Step 2 is running, 35 snaps to 50 (in its Hi state), and 36 remains 0 (its Low state). 35 snaps out after 6 seconds, just in time for Step 1 to start again.

This will alternate back and forth.

There are a lot of other options to this, but this is the basics.  You can always call us at Tech Support, and we'll be glad to walk you through this on the phone.  You can reach us at 608-831-4116, or toll-free at 800-688-4116.

• Thank you for the answers, this will help me achieve my goals!!

• Just as an example, if you wanted a basic 3-colour chase on your cycs (which I've arbitrarily patched Red = ch10, Blue = ch20, Green= Ch30) in sub 9, the keystrokes could be:

[blind][sub][9][enter][type][3][enter]

(this goes into blind, selects sub 9, and makes it an effect.)

[1][enter][10][s8][>][2][>][1][>][>][1]

(This enters into step 1 of the effect, adds channel 10, makes it fade to full on a 1 count, and fade out in 1 too.)

[s1][2][enter][20][s8]

(This enters into step 2 of the effect, adds channel 20, and unless in/dwell/out values are changed, it will fade in on 1, and fade out in 1)

[s1][3][enter][30][s8]

(This enters into step 3 of the effect, adds channel 30, makes it fade in on 1, and fade out in 1)

[record][enter][stage]

(This records the changes you've made and brings you back to the live screen.)

When the sub is run, it will fade the red in, then out, then the blue in, then out, then the green in, then out, and then repeat. To crossfade steps, make the number in the Time column equal to the sum of the In and Dwell times for that step.

• Ok, so I programmed a couple chases this way.The colors fading from the CYC lights is breath taking!

Here's my next question, When going to attributes and changing the random rate, does this override the time settings?

And is there anywhere in ETC logs, that kinda states a BPM associated with rate number?

• Ok, so I programmed a couple chases this way.The colors fading from the CYC lights is breath taking!

Here's my next question, When going to attributes and changing the random rate, does this override the time settings?

And is there anywhere in ETC logs, that kinda states a BPM associated with rate number?

Children
  • Joe_ML said:

Yes.

Joe_ML said:

60 sec. = 1 BPM

6.0 sec. = 10 BPM

5.0 sec. = 12 BPM

4.0 sec. = 15 BPM

3.0 sec. = 20 BPM

2.0 sec. = 30 BPM

1.0 sec. = 60 BPM

0.9 sec. = ~67 BPM

0.8 sec. = 75 BPM

0.7 sec. = ~86 BPM

0.6 sec. = 100 BPM

0.5 sec. = 120 BPM