Express 48/96 and Avolites Pearl 2004

I'm trying to set up an ETC Express 48/96 and a Pearl 2004 to talk to each
other over MIDI in the hopes that I can get one of them to remotely trigger
cues on the other.  I've followed the instruction sets from both manuals,
but I don't seem to be able to do it.  I think if I had a third
console/keyboard that could trigger both of them, it would work, but that
loses the flexibility of being able to make live changes on one console
while firing the other.

Has anyone been successful doing something similar?
Am I just missing something important?

Thanks for any insight.

Parents
  • I don't know about the Pearl, but the Express has dedicated midi commands associated with cue numbers...and it's bidirectional, meaning: when a midi command comes in a cue fires, and when a cue fires a midi command is spit out.  I assume the Pearl works similarly.  I also assume that the midi commands are different between the consoles...thus the problem.

The solution is to add a pc between the consoles running a program called "bome's midi translator".

http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/

For example:  Express cue 1 fires...Express spits out a midi command...midi translator automatically changes it to a different midi command...Pearl receives command...Pearl cue 1 fires

• joshgubler:

I don't know about the Pearl, but the Express has dedicated midi commands associated with cue numbers...and it's bidirectional, meaning: when a midi command comes in a cue fires, and when a cue fires a midi command is spit out.  I assume the Pearl works similarly.  I also assume that the midi commands are different between the consoles...thus the problem.

The solution is to add a pc between the consoles running a program called "bome's midi translator".

http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/

For example:  Express cue 1 fires...Express spits out a midi command...midi translator automatically changes it to a different midi command...Pearl receives command...Pearl cue 1 fires

I'm still hoping that there's a simpler solution that doesn't involve a third control surface, but this looks slightly better than our current plan, which was to test everything with an 88 key electric piano up in the booth. 

• I just looked at my Express console, and what I said was only partially true.  Express can function in two separate midi modes: "ETC MIDI", and "MIDI Show Control (MSC)".  What I described above is the ETC MIDI way of doing it.

MSC is an international standard; so assuming the Pearl supports it, this should be easy.  You ought to be able to tell the Express to transmit with device ID 1, and the Pearl to receive with Device ID 1.  Now firing cue 1 on the Express ought to fire cue 1 on the Pearl.

Sometimes you run into "off-by-one" errors when dealing with device IDs.  What one console calls "ID 1" another console will call "ID 0".  Try all three combinations (1 & 1, 0 & 1, 1 & 0).

As I said, all of this depends on the Pearl supporting MSC.  I just don't know if it does.

• I just looked at my Express console, and what I said was only partially true.  Express can function in two separate midi modes: "ETC MIDI", and "MIDI Show Control (MSC)".  What I described above is the ETC MIDI way of doing it.

MSC is an international standard; so assuming the Pearl supports it, this should be easy.  You ought to be able to tell the Express to transmit with device ID 1, and the Pearl to receive with Device ID 1.  Now firing cue 1 on the Express ought to fire cue 1 on the Pearl.

Sometimes you run into "off-by-one" errors when dealing with device IDs.  What one console calls "ID 1" another console will call "ID 0".  Try all three combinations (1 & 1, 0 & 1, 1 & 0).

As I said, all of this depends on the Pearl supporting MSC.  I just don't know if it does.

Children
No Data
Related