DMX IN on Insight/Expression 2x

HI,

I am trying to use the DMX IN function of my consoles to basically allow two people to control the same rack of dimmers in a HTP set-up.

Think basically a remote submaster type set-up.

I seem to have everything connected and I can see the DMX data coming into the console (via the [Fader] button), however, it does not seem to actually make any live changes onstage.

Does the DMX IN actually combine the two signals in this manner, or am I misunderstanding this?

Thanks so much!

Parents
  •  

Sounds like you might have a manual but here is the info just in case

To enable the console to accept DMX512 input, follow these steps:

Note: On Insight 2 consoles the submaster sliders must be in Submaster Mode to enable DMX In. Use the [Sub Mode] key to set the sliders to Submaster Mode.

Keystrokes: Action:

1. Press [Setup]. Selects Setup menu

2. Press [6] [Enter]. Selects Options Settings menu

3. Press [3] [Enter]. Prompt reads:

Select DMX512 In starting channel

(Enter 0 to disable)

4. Enter the first channel to be controlled by DMX In and press [Enter].  Enables DMX In and selects desired starting channel

5. If submaster 24's red LED is flashing, move its slider to 10, then to zero. If its green LED is flashing, move its slider to zero.

• DMX In is enabled, and I can see the incoming DMX when I go into the [Fader] screen.

I have not verified that the Sub is in fact in Submaster mode....but it was being used as a worklight sub at the time of testing. I will double check that.

I have also set the first channel to 1 since I want both boards to control the same fixtures. In theory this would mean that whatever ch is dimmer 1 on the secondary board will control ch. 1 on the main board correct? Basically Dimmers on the secondary board control channels on the primary?

I am assuming this based on patching Dim 13 to Ch 1 on the secondary and seeing ch 13 move on the primary under the [Fader] screen.

•  

I do not believe  the unit can do what you want it to do...It will not 'merge' DMX on a HTP basis.

It will allow you to 'give control' over a range of input channels.

What software do you have?  Ver. 2.x will be different from ver 3.x software.

If using 3.x software, with 1 to 1 patch and incoming set to start at 1: Go to stage mode

Enter channel 1-10 @ Focus Point 0 and hit enter

CH 1-10 will be captured and you should have DMX In control over those channels . You can do 1-10 and 15 an 20-40 @ Focus Point 0 and hit enter.....this will give control of those channels to the DMX-Input.

Remember that the patch of the main board still applies. Channel 1 will always give you dimmers that are patch to Channel 1

[edited by: mmeskill at 8:18 AM (GMT -6) on Fri, Feb 18 2011]
  • Ok, I guess I am missing the Focus Point step.

It would seem that control goes to either on or the other....not both in a HTP idea, correct?

• And now I just reread your first sentence. Darn! Well, off to work on trying to merge the signals now.

Thanks for your help!

• smallman said:

... Darn! Well, off to work on trying to merge the signals now.

Fleenor DMX512 Combine Unit 221E.  Pricey, but will do exactly what you need.

No knowledge of, nor experience with, this one: Elation 2512r-dmx-merger.

smallman said:
    I am trying ... to basically allow two people to control the same rack of dimmers in a HTP set-up. ...

Is it a Sensor, Sensor+, or other manufacturer's dimmer rack?

[edited by: derekleffew at 1:50 PM (GMT -6) on Fri, Feb 18 2011]
Reply Children
Related