Need help creating a lighting effect/cue

I have a show coming up, in a few weeks.

I want to create a great lighting effect using all of the theater lighting including the house lights.

The scene is like this... Bomb is ticking and then thrown off stage into the wing. I have a audience blinder to create the huge flash and a F-100 for a big burst of fog.

The effect, which I don't know how to write yet would be like the power is going out. Random flashing and dimming of of the lights but when the lights dim, the house lights come on flashing to counter the effect. Then it will finish in a complete blackout!

I'll be using the Insight 3 console.

I guess it would be best to use it as a cue, but I've never used the "part" of a cue. And I guess i could also use a submaster.

I guess what I'm really asking is how to write it using timings and whatever else would be needed, in 1 push of the button.

Has anyone ever created this effect?

[edited by: Joe_ML at 10:42 PM (GMT -6) on Wed, Jun 1 2011]
Parents
  • It sounds like the easiest way, in my mind,  would just be to write a series of cues that turn the lights on and off and then manipulate follow and cue timing to make it look like you want.  Then all you have to do is hit go and the console will do the rest for you.  I would not worry about using parts.

• A kind of simple way to do it, would be to set up a seies of cues that includes an effect.

You can obviously play with the timing to make it as fast or as slow as you want.

Example: 

Chan 1 - 50 Full  (like your blinder cue)

[Record] [10] [Enter] [Time] [0] {Follow} [.] [5]

Now create your random flashing as an effect in Live. This will allow you to see each step and select the right fixtures for the full effect.

Chan 1 - 10 Full

[Record] [11] [Type] [3] [Enter] to specify the cue number and set it to the effect type.

Release then Chan 11 - 20 Full

[Record] [S7- more softkeys] [S7- more softkeys] [S8-(Step)] [2] [Enter] - creates the next step in the effect

Release then Chan 21 - 30 Full

[Record] [S8-(Step)] [3] [Enter]     - creates the third step in the effect

Don't forget to give it a follow time to automatically run the next cue - [Cue] [11] {Follow} [3]

Now create your blackout cue

Release, Release - make sure all your channels are out

[Record] [12] [Enter] [Time] [0]     Blackout

• A kind of simple way to do it, would be to set up a seies of cues that includes an effect.

You can obviously play with the timing to make it as fast or as slow as you want.

Example: 

Chan 1 - 50 Full  (like your blinder cue)

[Record] [10] [Enter] [Time] [0] {Follow} [.] [5]

Now create your random flashing as an effect in Live. This will allow you to see each step and select the right fixtures for the full effect.

Chan 1 - 10 Full

[Record] [11] [Type] [3] [Enter] to specify the cue number and set it to the effect type.

Release then Chan 11 - 20 Full

[Record] [S7- more softkeys] [S7- more softkeys] [S8-(Step)] [2] [Enter] - creates the next step in the effect

Release then Chan 21 - 30 Full

[Record] [S8-(Step)] [3] [Enter]     - creates the third step in the effect

Don't forget to give it a follow time to automatically run the next cue - [Cue] [11] {Follow} [3]

Now create your blackout cue

Release, Release - make sure all your channels are out

[Record] [12] [Enter] [Time] [0]     Blackout

Children
No Data
Related