Console updating

Hello! Is there a way to update another console's OS version as well as saving/reading shows thru Thin net or other ports? One of my installed Express 24/96's disk drive doesn't read nor write and its not the drive. My guess is something internal that is giving commands to the Floppy drive. Thanks!

• No, unfortunately Express(ion) consoles can only be updated via their local floppy disk drive.

The 'Nodes' are updated via their network connection, as they don't have a drive and their firmware is much smaller.

When you say that it's not the drive, how do you know?
    There are a lot of not-quite-identical floppy drives. PCs, Linux and Macs use drivers to allow for the vagaries of different floppy drive controllers, Express(ion) doesn't so requires the FDD to be exactly the right type.

Unfortunately this means that a FDD picked at random from your local computer store may not work on Express(ion).

[edited by: Richard at 3:06 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Jun 11 2012]
  • Hi Richard!

Many thanks for the response! I tried swapping the drives from one console to the other. In fact i tried several drives, two came from a working express and it always give me a "no diskette in drive found" message. I tried format, read, write, and update but to no avail. What do you think is causing this problem and what do you suggest?

We were able to solve the " no video problem " by the way by trying to heat up the processor pins. It came out that one or several pins have either cold solders or due to normal wear resulting from transporting the console when used in rental shows.

All the best (^_^)

Related