Connecting Expression 3 to ShowXpress

I am designing the lighting for a show with Chauvet's Show Xpress and wondered if there is a way to connect my Mac to the Expression 3 board/system at the venue.  I haven't worked in lighting for 20 years now, and know that the 4 hours I have to learn the board and then set up the show is impossible.  I am hoping to simplify the process by doing it this way... I am more than willing to purchase any interfaces needed, etc to make it work... the venue is my daughter's Performing Arts High School, so they could always use extras. 

Any advice, please, the rehearsal is Friday 6-22 and the show is Saturday 6-23... they decided to tell me Monday that I was needed for the lighting in addition to running the sound...

Parents
  • Does the Chauvet export in a USITT ASCII cue file standard ?.

By using ETC's free Expression Off-Line Editor, you can import a basic show file to Expression.  Lot's of theatrical desks use this format including the older ETC Expression and Insight as well as Express, plus the newer Eos/Gio/Ion/Element line, as well as a number of Strand consoles.

You'd need Parallels or something for the Mac as Expression Off-Line is Windows OS software.

I'm guessing though that Chauvet does not export ASCII, so would recommend Expression Off-Line, IF you are building a simple conventionals in channels cue file.  If you are doing stuff with movers or LED's you are SOL.

As question, why are you using Chauvet and can you not simply get a Chauvet DMX512 interface and run direct from your Mac ?.  Any particular reason you end up on an Expression ?.

Steve B.

• Does the Chauvet export in a USITT ASCII cue file standard ?.

By using ETC's free Expression Off-Line Editor, you can import a basic show file to Expression.  Lot's of theatrical desks use this format including the older ETC Expression and Insight as well as Express, plus the newer Eos/Gio/Ion/Element line, as well as a number of Strand consoles.

You'd need Parallels or something for the Mac as Expression Off-Line is Windows OS software.

I'm guessing though that Chauvet does not export ASCII, so would recommend Expression Off-Line, IF you are building a simple conventionals in channels cue file.  If you are doing stuff with movers or LED's you are SOL.

As question, why are you using Chauvet and can you not simply get a Chauvet DMX512 interface and run direct from your Mac ?.  Any particular reason you end up on an Expression ?.

Steve B.

Children
No Data
Related