Using multiple cue lists

Hi folks:

I made it through the first week of using my new hog2pc (soon to be hog3pc). I am learning a LOT and doing it very fast, but i do have one question.

How does one (in a production environment) make use of multiple quelists on multiple faders?

I know how to record to them, but transitioning between them and the myrid other details of running a show a bit escapes me -- I can see having chases on them and fade up or down the chase when i want it, that part makes sense. but im coming from a strand GSX and im a bit lost on this point

thanks

TIM
Parents
  • I usually think of my first and last playback masters as the easiest to get to without thinking, so I would keep that in consideration. I always end up putting my primary show cuelist on the far right master (8 on the Wholehog 2 and 10 on the Wholehog 3, but I can't honestly tell you why I do it this way. At this point, it's just become habit. I've thought about this briefly, and here's the 3 most logical reasons that I've come up with:

1) I probably spent time early in my career working on a show that was set up this way by someone else and the next time I sat in front of a console it seemed like the right thing to do.

2) The GM is on the left and I sure as heck don't want to be accidentally grabbing that.

3) Some other consoles I've used have the main cuelist faders in the center of the console with subs on the left, so it feels comfortable.

None of these seem really motivating enough to say that there's a "right" way to do it. While #2 sounds severe, I can't remember ever having accidentally grabbed my GM. I'd say do whatever feels the best to you.

If you won't be using the fixtures in your chases when the chase isn't up, then it shouldn't matter. The chase *will* be running the whole time, even if the fader is down, so here's a few things to consider:

1) If the chase is always running, you won't know where it will be each time you bring up the fader. If you want it to always start out right in the middle, you'll need to stop and start it.

2) If you're working with any non-intensity parameters that are changing in the chase, consider whether or not anyone would see positions changing or hear colour or beam parameters changing as your chase runs in the background. (doesn't sound like it will be an issue in this case)

3) Since the chase is running, this means that the console is using some of its processing to deal with it. If you happened to be working on a *huge* show on the Wholehog 2, you may get to a point where you want to be very conscious of only having playbacks active that are actually contributing to your stage looks. (also sounds like it won't be an issue)

There are some cuelist options that may help you out in your situation.

Hold Pig and press the Choose key for your chase. This opens the cuelist window.
    Press the Options button on the toolbar at the top of the window.

The "+Go when off 0" option will run the cuelist when you bring up the fader.

The "Reset when released" option will take the current cue indicator back to the first cue when the list is released so that it always starts the same way.

I hope this helps.
  • I usually think of my first and last playback masters as the easiest to get to without thinking, so I would keep that in consideration. I always end up putting my primary show cuelist on the far right master (8 on the Wholehog 2 and 10 on the Wholehog 3, but I can't honestly tell you why I do it this way. At this point, it's just become habit. I've thought about this briefly, and here's the 3 most logical reasons that I've come up with:

1) I probably spent time early in my career working on a show that was set up this way by someone else and the next time I sat in front of a console it seemed like the right thing to do.

2) The GM is on the left and I sure as heck don't want to be accidentally grabbing that.

3) Some other consoles I've used have the main cuelist faders in the center of the console with subs on the left, so it feels comfortable.

None of these seem really motivating enough to say that there's a "right" way to do it. While #2 sounds severe, I can't remember ever having accidentally grabbed my GM. I'd say do whatever feels the best to you.

If you won't be using the fixtures in your chases when the chase isn't up, then it shouldn't matter. The chase *will* be running the whole time, even if the fader is down, so here's a few things to consider:

1) If the chase is always running, you won't know where it will be each time you bring up the fader. If you want it to always start out right in the middle, you'll need to stop and start it.

2) If you're working with any non-intensity parameters that are changing in the chase, consider whether or not anyone would see positions changing or hear colour or beam parameters changing as your chase runs in the background. (doesn't sound like it will be an issue in this case)

3) Since the chase is running, this means that the console is using some of its processing to deal with it. If you happened to be working on a *huge* show on the Wholehog 2, you may get to a point where you want to be very conscious of only having playbacks active that are actually contributing to your stage looks. (also sounds like it won't be an issue)

There are some cuelist options that may help you out in your situation.

Hold Pig and press the Choose key for your chase. This opens the cuelist window.
    Press the Options button on the toolbar at the top of the window.

The "+Go when off 0" option will run the cuelist when you bring up the fader.

The "Reset when released" option will take the current cue indicator back to the first cue when the list is released so that it always starts the same way.

I hope this helps.
Children
No Data
Related