Sudden dropouts

Hopefully this will be my last question for the day :)

Today (and several times over the last couple weeks) we have noticed that the lights will suddenly blink out then back on for a split second without anyone touching the board. This has always occured when there is nothing going on with the board at all -- no cross fades or anything -- today i had not touched the board in probably 5 minutes and i was sitting there so i know no one else touched it -- the computer did not reset or anything - -im wondering if it is a power fluxuation in the Widget or mains power or what might be the problem

any suggestions or trobleshooting input is most welcome

TIM
Parents
  • There are all sorts of things that could be going on here. If could be a problem with your DMX chain, including a bad cable or bad termination. It could be a power problem. It could be that you have picky dimmers that don't like the signal they're seeing from the hog. It could be that other applications running on your PC are interfering with the DMX transmission.

I think that your best bet for tracking this down is going to be hooking up a DMX tester to your console output so that you can watch the DMX data being sent. Just about any tester would let you see this, but I really like the interface of the software application DMX Workshop II. You buy their dongle to accept DMX into your PC and it will graph channel levels or refresh rates for you (in addition to all sorts of other goodies), so it would be easy to see momentary drops in levels or signal.

I hope this helps.
  • There are all sorts of things that could be going on here. If could be a problem with your DMX chain, including a bad cable or bad termination. It could be a power problem. It could be that you have picky dimmers that don't like the signal they're seeing from the hog. It could be that other applications running on your PC are interfering with the DMX transmission.

I think that your best bet for tracking this down is going to be hooking up a DMX tester to your console output so that you can watch the DMX data being sent. Just about any tester would let you see this, but I really like the interface of the software application DMX Workshop II. You buy their dongle to accept DMX into your PC and it will graph channel levels or refresh rates for you (in addition to all sorts of other goodies), so it would be easy to see momentary drops in levels or signal.

I hope this helps.
Children
No Data
Related