Hog III Novice

Hi All,
having been a Hog II user for some time i'm going to start my first run of show's on an IPC in hog III mode.
Most of you are way ahead of me so i'm looking for some help setting up a basic show.
I want the show i create to be something i can continue to use in festival situations over the summer so anything i start now will be the basis for my festival show later in the year.
Any tips or info regarding building pallettes,cuelists or patching would be of a big help.

Thanks in advance C :welcome:
Parents
  • 1 - On palette types, in addition to the 3 palette types, you should also be aware that palettes DO NOT automatically "nest" or "reference" the way they did on Hog-2.

You must select "Allow Refs" when recording "nested" palettes. You'll find it in the toolbar at the bottom of the right-hand screen after pressing "Record" and then "More" right along with your palette type selection options.

i.e. - If you record indivual focus positions for Vox, Drums, Keys, Guitar, etc. And then you make a focus position for "Band-1" that has two lights at each position, if you do not select "Allow Refs" the hard values will go into the palette, and any changes to any one of the other focus positions will not carry over.

2 - on HSI vs CMY values. Tom is quite right about using HSI values to get accurate colors when changing type WITH CALIBRATED FIXTURES is the key there. Not all the fixtures have been color calibrated to the HSI color model. To see if they have simply look all the way to the right in your PATCH window in the "Col Cal" column. And yes do be careful about bumping your CMY wheels if doing HSI changes on-the-fly.

Additionally, do be VERY careful about using HSI in your cues. Slower, smoother changes may produce unwanted results. Especially if the colors are very far apart on the HSI "wheel".

i.e. - you are changing colors from Deep Blue to Yellow using HSI with a fade time of say 4 seconds. You may see your color mixing mechanisms doing some strange and possibly unwanted things as the lights change color. This is because the Hue and Saturation values are moving around the wheel to get to the next color, and this is not necessariliy the natural path the mechanisms want to take to get there. If you ever run into Dan Hardiman over there ask him what happened to him the first time he tried using HSI values to program a UB-40 tour....

So here's the workaround I use. Just create a set of HSI palettes of the colors you are going to use, but make sure it is with a color calibrated fixture. These will act as a sort of reference palette only. Then simply select your new set of lights, select the HSI color palette, touch your CMY wheels and record the new palette with CMY values (after making any possible necessary adjustments) and make sure your cues are built from the CMY palettes, not the HSI ones.

WHEW!!! That was quite long enough...hope it helps.:headbang:
  • 1 - On palette types, in addition to the 3 palette types, you should also be aware that palettes DO NOT automatically "nest" or "reference" the way they did on Hog-2.

You must select "Allow Refs" when recording "nested" palettes. You'll find it in the toolbar at the bottom of the right-hand screen after pressing "Record" and then "More" right along with your palette type selection options.

i.e. - If you record indivual focus positions for Vox, Drums, Keys, Guitar, etc. And then you make a focus position for "Band-1" that has two lights at each position, if you do not select "Allow Refs" the hard values will go into the palette, and any changes to any one of the other focus positions will not carry over.

2 - on HSI vs CMY values. Tom is quite right about using HSI values to get accurate colors when changing type WITH CALIBRATED FIXTURES is the key there. Not all the fixtures have been color calibrated to the HSI color model. To see if they have simply look all the way to the right in your PATCH window in the "Col Cal" column. And yes do be careful about bumping your CMY wheels if doing HSI changes on-the-fly.

Additionally, do be VERY careful about using HSI in your cues. Slower, smoother changes may produce unwanted results. Especially if the colors are very far apart on the HSI "wheel".

i.e. - you are changing colors from Deep Blue to Yellow using HSI with a fade time of say 4 seconds. You may see your color mixing mechanisms doing some strange and possibly unwanted things as the lights change color. This is because the Hue and Saturation values are moving around the wheel to get to the next color, and this is not necessariliy the natural path the mechanisms want to take to get there. If you ever run into Dan Hardiman over there ask him what happened to him the first time he tried using HSI values to program a UB-40 tour....

So here's the workaround I use. Just create a set of HSI palettes of the colors you are going to use, but make sure it is with a color calibrated fixture. These will act as a sort of reference palette only. Then simply select your new set of lights, select the HSI color palette, touch your CMY wheels and record the new palette with CMY values (after making any possible necessary adjustments) and make sure your cues are built from the CMY palettes, not the HSI ones.

WHEW!!! That was quite long enough...hope it helps.:headbang:
Children
No Data
Related