Faster! Faster!

To the powers that be...
I'd like to put in a request for a faster video card on the HogIII. The views are limited in functionality for me because I have to decide if it's worth the lag in time to wait for all the screens to change after selecting a new view or figure something else out (scroll down, close a window, etc.)
Thanks,
Dave
Parents
  • Kerry,

I'm actually glad that you revived this thread. I'd be curious to hear what folks have to say now that we've released v2.1 with all of its views performance improvements.

I certainly agree with you that it would be nice at times to be able to use higher resolutions on the external screens (although I'd then have to buy nicer touchscreens).

The limitation here is actually hardware. If you've ever opened the back of your Wholehog 3, you'll see that our motherboard is completely custom and that we don't use any PCI / AGP / PCI Express cards. We use 2 video chips to control the 4 screens, but they are only 4MB each, with each chip running 1MB for an internal screen and 3MB for an external screen. This allows us 800x600 for the internal screen and a max of 1280x1024 for the external, both at 16 bit colour depth.

Increasing the maximum resolution of the external screens would require a motherboard replacement.

The good news is that the Hog iPC allows higher resolutions on the external screen and that on the Wholehog 3 console, with our recent views work, will properly recall window scroll positions and the Jump toolbar should be working well.

I hope this answers your question.
  • Kerry,

I'm actually glad that you revived this thread. I'd be curious to hear what folks have to say now that we've released v2.1 with all of its views performance improvements.

I certainly agree with you that it would be nice at times to be able to use higher resolutions on the external screens (although I'd then have to buy nicer touchscreens).

The limitation here is actually hardware. If you've ever opened the back of your Wholehog 3, you'll see that our motherboard is completely custom and that we don't use any PCI / AGP / PCI Express cards. We use 2 video chips to control the 4 screens, but they are only 4MB each, with each chip running 1MB for an internal screen and 3MB for an external screen. This allows us 800x600 for the internal screen and a max of 1280x1024 for the external, both at 16 bit colour depth.

Increasing the maximum resolution of the external screens would require a motherboard replacement.

The good news is that the Hog iPC allows higher resolutions on the external screen and that on the Wholehog 3 console, with our recent views work, will properly recall window scroll positions and the Jump toolbar should be working well.

I hope this answers your question.
Children
No Data
Related