Faster! Faster!

To the powers that be...
I'd like to put in a request for a faster video card on the HogIII. The views are limited in functionality for me because I have to decide if it's worth the lag in time to wait for all the screens to change after selecting a new view or figure something else out (scroll down, close a window, etc.)
Thanks,
Dave
Parents
  • Kerry,

I believe that the embedded video solution that we use (not unlike many that were available at the time the motherboard was designed) actually is limited to a maximum resolution of 1280x1024. With the amount of memory we have and what we need to drive, we had available memory to run at 16 bit colour depth.

You're right that most of our application would probably look fine with fewer colours, but the colour picker would definitely take a hit and this gives us options for nicer icons and will be very helpful as we look forward to features like media server integration.

We are currently working on adding support for USB mass storage devices. The problem is that our current linux kernel (2.4.19) has really bad support for them. We're working on a kernel upgrade, but that requires a compiler upgrade, and the new compiler is a bit more strict than what we'd been running in the past.

Our developer working on the compiler port is nearly complete and we've documented the few kernel modifications that we have. I can't make any promises about dates, but most of the difficult parts of implementing USB drives are being completed right now as a part of a separate project. I'm hoping to see USB drive support in the not-so-distant future.
  • Kerry,

I believe that the embedded video solution that we use (not unlike many that were available at the time the motherboard was designed) actually is limited to a maximum resolution of 1280x1024. With the amount of memory we have and what we need to drive, we had available memory to run at 16 bit colour depth.

You're right that most of our application would probably look fine with fewer colours, but the colour picker would definitely take a hit and this gives us options for nicer icons and will be very helpful as we look forward to features like media server integration.

We are currently working on adding support for USB mass storage devices. The problem is that our current linux kernel (2.4.19) has really bad support for them. We're working on a kernel upgrade, but that requires a compiler upgrade, and the new compiler is a bit more strict than what we'd been running in the past.

Our developer working on the compiler port is nearly complete and we've documented the few kernel modifications that we have. I can't make any promises about dates, but most of the difficult parts of implementing USB drives are being completed right now as a part of a separate project. I'm hoping to see USB drive support in the not-so-distant future.
Children
No Data
Related