True Abstraction

One of the other post regarding real-world zoom values brought up something else I've encountered.

Will it be possible to have paramters like wheel rotation speeds and Strobe Hz consistent across fixture types?:confused:

i.e. Set the gobo rotation of a Technobeam to say 75-RPM, and then set the gobo rotation of a Studio Spot 575 also to 75-RPM. The actual speeds on stage are different! (Both fixtures have the same throw)

I realize that this may mean calibrating every paramter for every fixture in the library!! :eek: :aargh4: (No small task to be sure! And I know we don't even have color calibration for everything yet!)

Additionally fixtures should only be allowed values that they can actually produce. So if the maximum RPM is only 200, the fixture should not be allowed to go up to 300.

The advantage would be a true abstraction between fixture types. :ninja: So when you change your fixture type, the actual looks will all be the same. No need to adjust every Palette.:arms: Although I'm sure we'll still need to check 'em!
Parents
  • @brad
    I understand that you'd never be able to verify all data from all fixtures out there.
    What about an easy way in the desk to adjust such "errors" and a possibility get the library-changes back to you?
    If I could adjust the library in an easy way during programming, i.e. I have a VL1000 and some no-name-movinglight hanging next to each other on the truss and assume the VL1000 library is OK, I could adjust the other lamp to have corresponding zoom- or gobo rotation-values - given that it is easy todo during programming (and I would not have to open the patch window, edit the fixture and so on..). If there was possibility to get this back to HES (maybe using some usb-memory some time ;) and then emailing/uploading it) it would speed things up a lot. Some kind of "Open Source"-like thinking, the community returns its improvements to the library. You'd just collect the changes and assume that a modification is correct if the same changes came from more than X different people and it's not a lamp whose library you guys adjusted yourself....
  • @brad
    I understand that you'd never be able to verify all data from all fixtures out there.
    What about an easy way in the desk to adjust such "errors" and a possibility get the library-changes back to you?
    If I could adjust the library in an easy way during programming, i.e. I have a VL1000 and some no-name-movinglight hanging next to each other on the truss and assume the VL1000 library is OK, I could adjust the other lamp to have corresponding zoom- or gobo rotation-values - given that it is easy todo during programming (and I would not have to open the patch window, edit the fixture and so on..). If there was possibility to get this back to HES (maybe using some usb-memory some time ;) and then emailing/uploading it) it would speed things up a lot. Some kind of "Open Source"-like thinking, the community returns its improvements to the library. You'd just collect the changes and assume that a modification is correct if the same changes came from more than X different people and it's not a lamp whose library you guys adjusted yourself....
Children
No Data
Related