True Abstraction

One of the other post regarding real-world zoom values brought up something else I've encountered.

Will it be possible to have paramters like wheel rotation speeds and Strobe Hz consistent across fixture types?:confused:

i.e. Set the gobo rotation of a Technobeam to say 75-RPM, and then set the gobo rotation of a Studio Spot 575 also to 75-RPM. The actual speeds on stage are different! (Both fixtures have the same throw)

I realize that this may mean calibrating every paramter for every fixture in the library!! :eek: :aargh4: (No small task to be sure! And I know we don't even have color calibration for everything yet!)

Additionally fixtures should only be allowed values that they can actually produce. So if the maximum RPM is only 200, the fixture should not be allowed to go up to 300.

The advantage would be a true abstraction between fixture types. :ninja: So when you change your fixture type, the actual looks will all be the same. No need to adjust every Palette.:arms: Although I'm sure we'll still need to check 'em!
Parents
  • Yes, a really good idea!. i know theres lots of people out there that would done something like that, i know i will.. of cource parameters like coulour would be really difficult to do this way..but goborot rpm. strobe hz ,etc. could bedone quite easy.. actually you could just time those with a stopwatch..

but on the otherside..what about reliability of the data?? say someone make a mistake..-is a wrong "calibrated" fixture better than a non "calibrated" one??

Another idea would be to "push" the manufacters of the fixtures.. Theese days many of the desks(most?) have "abstraction" to a sertain amount, and wouldnt it be natural if the manufacters over time started to ship info like that also?? Today, they're handing out the dmxchannelchart of the fixtures, telling us that goborot is channel x range y-z.. now that more desks link those numbers to a real world value, wouln't it only be logcal if they also said that y-z equals: yrpm-zrpm??

I think that with todays consoles isn't that kind of info also just as important to make a good library?? and, i would gues that info like that already exists at the manufactors, they designed the fixture..

Can we expect this from the manufactors??-prob not, lol.. but maybe in the future..
  • Yes, a really good idea!. i know theres lots of people out there that would done something like that, i know i will.. of cource parameters like coulour would be really difficult to do this way..but goborot rpm. strobe hz ,etc. could bedone quite easy.. actually you could just time those with a stopwatch..

but on the otherside..what about reliability of the data?? say someone make a mistake..-is a wrong "calibrated" fixture better than a non "calibrated" one??

Another idea would be to "push" the manufacters of the fixtures.. Theese days many of the desks(most?) have "abstraction" to a sertain amount, and wouldnt it be natural if the manufacters over time started to ship info like that also?? Today, they're handing out the dmxchannelchart of the fixtures, telling us that goborot is channel x range y-z.. now that more desks link those numbers to a real world value, wouln't it only be logcal if they also said that y-z equals: yrpm-zrpm??

I think that with todays consoles isn't that kind of info also just as important to make a good library?? and, i would gues that info like that already exists at the manufactors, they designed the fixture..

Can we expect this from the manufactors??-prob not, lol.. but maybe in the future..
Children
No Data
Related