This is,or should be a RAID

How about it? As myself and others who have had to replace our hard drives after they have failed can attest, there's plenty of room inside the console for a RAID, the second drive could probably fit right on top of the drive I had to replace. (Warning-expiration date of the drives is about 2.5 years, as in check your console's birthday and perform a preemptive hard drive replacement or you'll be sorry...) A little hard drive redundancy would keep others from hearing this: "Hey man, hard drives fail, what can I tell ya?" I know that the hard drive is working very hard all the time, all the more reason to have a second drive.
Just a thought,
Dave
Parents
  • Have a closer look at the technical details of drives on the market: There are huge differences in terms of quality! Right now, Seagate and Western Digital are very good, don't use Samsung or IBM/Hitachi!
    Almost all 2.5" hard-drives have special functions to detect sudden movement and park its heads in a save position quickly. Some also have a special "locking"-function that parks the head on locks it somehow which is supposed to be even safer than just moving it to the side as "normal" harddrives do... I'm not sure, but I think I've read about some 3.5"-harddrives having such a function, too. You might want to check that...

Can the desk boot from USB? Wouldn't it be a nice function if you could boot a "backup"-system from an usb-stick and make a 1:1 copy of the hog's drive onto an external usb-drive? In case of a crash you'd have a replacement drive with the whole OS already on it - or you'd boot directly from the usb-drive?. You would only need to load your show from zip or cdrom after exchanging the drive.

Jan
  • Have a closer look at the technical details of drives on the market: There are huge differences in terms of quality! Right now, Seagate and Western Digital are very good, don't use Samsung or IBM/Hitachi!
    Almost all 2.5" hard-drives have special functions to detect sudden movement and park its heads in a save position quickly. Some also have a special "locking"-function that parks the head on locks it somehow which is supposed to be even safer than just moving it to the side as "normal" harddrives do... I'm not sure, but I think I've read about some 3.5"-harddrives having such a function, too. You might want to check that...

Can the desk boot from USB? Wouldn't it be a nice function if you could boot a "backup"-system from an usb-stick and make a 1:1 copy of the hog's drive onto an external usb-drive? In case of a crash you'd have a replacement drive with the whole OS already on it - or you'd boot directly from the usb-drive?. You would only need to load your show from zip or cdrom after exchanging the drive.

Jan
Children
No Data
Related