This is,or should be a RAID

How about it? As myself and others who have had to replace our hard drives after they have failed can attest, there's plenty of room inside the console for a RAID, the second drive could probably fit right on top of the drive I had to replace. (Warning-expiration date of the drives is about 2.5 years, as in check your console's birthday and perform a preemptive hard drive replacement or you'll be sorry...) A little hard drive redundancy would keep others from hearing this: "Hey man, hard drives fail, what can I tell ya?" I know that the hard drive is working very hard all the time, all the more reason to have a second drive.
Just a thought,
Dave
Parents
  • actually, I do develop software, too. On Linux ;)

But wouldn't it be just a very helpful thing if you could mirror the internal drive to an usb-drive and boot from this backup if your internal drive fails? it would save a lot of time when your drive is failing... just have an $80-usbdrive as a backup with you on tour, plug it in and restart the desk. But don't forget to make regular backups of your show on zip or cdrom...

Actually, the only thing that HES needs to do is add usb-boot-support to the bios as a first step (to allow some linux rescue-system to boot and mirror the drive), and as second step, modify the new kernel to be able to boot from usb which is only a very simple modification in the initrd.

I'd supply the boot-image for an usb-stick that just offers a simple menu and mirrors the drives after pressing ENTER.

Jan
  • actually, I do develop software, too. On Linux ;)

But wouldn't it be just a very helpful thing if you could mirror the internal drive to an usb-drive and boot from this backup if your internal drive fails? it would save a lot of time when your drive is failing... just have an $80-usbdrive as a backup with you on tour, plug it in and restart the desk. But don't forget to make regular backups of your show on zip or cdrom...

Actually, the only thing that HES needs to do is add usb-boot-support to the bios as a first step (to allow some linux rescue-system to boot and mirror the drive), and as second step, modify the new kernel to be able to boot from usb which is only a very simple modification in the initrd.

I'd supply the boot-image for an usb-stick that just offers a simple menu and mirrors the drives after pressing ENTER.

Jan
Children
No Data
Related