Controlling the Hog III with Crestron

I was wondering if anyone has experience controlling the Hog III with a control system like Crestron. I know that Crestron makes a MIDI expansion card for its processors, but a MIDI cable run is not always feasable.

Will the Hog III accept MIDI over ethernet without the MIDI/Timecode processor? Are there such thing as an ethernet to MIDI adapter?

Thanks!
Parents
  • Tony,

I doubt anyone has tried this. I actually have a Crestron system with an AV2, STX-3500C, and STX-1600C. I don't have a MIDI card, but I'll see if I can track one down to take a look at this. You should be able to just write SIMPL+ code to build and send MIDI strings for MIDI Show Control commands (since we don't have a full implementation of MIDI notes yet.)

The MIDI specification defines a maximum cable length of 50 feet. I haven't seen any kind of MIDI to ethernet adapter. The IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) is currently working on a standard called RTP that runs over ethernet / Internet and may replace MIDI.

Here is the actual RTP protocol RFC:
    www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1889.txt

and here is an RTP FAQ page:
    www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/faq.html

I hope this helps.
  • Tony,

I doubt anyone has tried this. I actually have a Crestron system with an AV2, STX-3500C, and STX-1600C. I don't have a MIDI card, but I'll see if I can track one down to take a look at this. You should be able to just write SIMPL+ code to build and send MIDI strings for MIDI Show Control commands (since we don't have a full implementation of MIDI notes yet.)

The MIDI specification defines a maximum cable length of 50 feet. I haven't seen any kind of MIDI to ethernet adapter. The IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) is currently working on a standard called RTP that runs over ethernet / Internet and may replace MIDI.

Here is the actual RTP protocol RFC:
    www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1889.txt

and here is an RTP FAQ page:
    www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/faq.html

I hope this helps.
Children
No Data
Related