Full BackUp

Gents

when we see a full tracked backup solution ala GrandMa with the Hog III ??
This Year ??

Denis
Parents
  • You are safer when you make this decision on the receiving side. It will end up in a mess if showserver 2 thinks that showserver 1 is offline and starts sending data when showserver 1 is still active but there is only some packte loss/ sync problem inbeetween server 1 and 2.

I never measured the amount of data the hog3 sends to the DPs, but one dmx-line is 250kbit per second and the hog3 does not send dmx but just commands to the DP since the DPs calculate fades themselves, so the amount of data should be less (but there is of course some overhead, so maybe its 250 to 300kbit per second again.). This would mean we could theoretically fit 300 Universes on a 100Mbit network, if we take some good switches and think about the network layout, even more will fit! 300 Universes would be 150 redunant ones. I think that is no problem. And it would make the whole configuration very stable and easy to handle (in terms of software development).

But thats something your developers have to think about, I'm just sharing my personal experiences from the software projects I have been programming and I have been using... There are many theories and approaches, but I am always a big fan of very robust solutions. Better send too much data than nothing. Always assume that part of the network will fail because of a broken switch or something like that, assume some nodes will see each other and some other will only see half of them. And keep in mind that this always happens in a show while the operator is pushing a dozen flash-keys for ACLs and audience blinders. We do not want any "1 second delay for network reconfiguration" or something like that.

Jan
  • You are safer when you make this decision on the receiving side. It will end up in a mess if showserver 2 thinks that showserver 1 is offline and starts sending data when showserver 1 is still active but there is only some packte loss/ sync problem inbeetween server 1 and 2.

I never measured the amount of data the hog3 sends to the DPs, but one dmx-line is 250kbit per second and the hog3 does not send dmx but just commands to the DP since the DPs calculate fades themselves, so the amount of data should be less (but there is of course some overhead, so maybe its 250 to 300kbit per second again.). This would mean we could theoretically fit 300 Universes on a 100Mbit network, if we take some good switches and think about the network layout, even more will fit! 300 Universes would be 150 redunant ones. I think that is no problem. And it would make the whole configuration very stable and easy to handle (in terms of software development).

But thats something your developers have to think about, I'm just sharing my personal experiences from the software projects I have been programming and I have been using... There are many theories and approaches, but I am always a big fan of very robust solutions. Better send too much data than nothing. Always assume that part of the network will fail because of a broken switch or something like that, assume some nodes will see each other and some other will only see half of them. And keep in mind that this always happens in a show while the operator is pushing a dozen flash-keys for ACLs and audience blinders. We do not want any "1 second delay for network reconfiguration" or something like that.

Jan
Children
No Data
Related