Effects engine

Could someone please explain how exactly the effects engine works? I know you can do ballyhoos and sttuff with it but how do you find out what numbers to do and stuff? I am fairly new to lighting and have only made one ballyhoo with the effects engine.
Parents
  • When I'm programming a single channel as a random intensity effect for a flicker (think television set, movie projector, candlelight, firelight) the "random" effect is not random, i.e. it seems to pick a series of six or eight values at random and cycles through them again and again. The result is a very inorganic look. Is this in fact what is going on? It certainly does not seem "random." I seem to recall the effects engine in the Hog2 doing a better job of this. Of course this can be mitigated by more channels, for purposes of this discussion that is not feasible. So, a true "random" (and "random rate" within that effect, or a "time" parameter with the effects engine) would be nice.
  • When I'm programming a single channel as a random intensity effect for a flicker (think television set, movie projector, candlelight, firelight) the "random" effect is not random, i.e. it seems to pick a series of six or eight values at random and cycles through them again and again. The result is a very inorganic look. Is this in fact what is going on? It certainly does not seem "random." I seem to recall the effects engine in the Hog2 doing a better job of this. Of course this can be mitigated by more channels, for purposes of this discussion that is not feasible. So, a true "random" (and "random rate" within that effect, or a "time" parameter with the effects engine) would be nice.
Children
No Data
Related