Upgrade Memory of the console

Is there anyone who tried to upgrade the memory from the standard 256Mb to more and if so is it making the console faster or slower.
Parents
  • Steph,

As far as I know, there isn't a motherboard in existence that would allow you to change out the north bridge. Changing components like this would require changing the entire motherboard. Because of our special needs (space inside the console, 4 monitors, etc.) I doubt we could use a typical retail motherboard.

We also need to consider that unless we plan on providing hardware upgrades for every existing console in the field, our software would need to support both new hardware and old hardware. We wouldn't be able to write software that exceeded the capabilities of the existing hardware unless we made sure that every console was upgraded.

As I mentioned above, we are working on a number of things that should increase performance, but I think it's unrealistic to hope for a console with easily field-upgradable board-level components.
  • Steph,

As far as I know, there isn't a motherboard in existence that would allow you to change out the north bridge. Changing components like this would require changing the entire motherboard. Because of our special needs (space inside the console, 4 monitors, etc.) I doubt we could use a typical retail motherboard.

We also need to consider that unless we plan on providing hardware upgrades for every existing console in the field, our software would need to support both new hardware and old hardware. We wouldn't be able to write software that exceeded the capabilities of the existing hardware unless we made sure that every console was upgraded.

As I mentioned above, we are working on a number of things that should increase performance, but I think it's unrealistic to hope for a console with easily field-upgradable board-level components.
Children
No Data
Related