HogIII performance... shaking Movinglights.

Hello everyone

I just started a tour with 20 Elp60 Led-sticks, five MAC 700 and a few conventionals. That gives me about 1400 DMX channels...since I'm running the LED-sticks in 60channel mode. (Yes I want and I need it that way!).
And there is the problem: first I had everything on one DP, first universe 480xLED, sec. univ. 480xLED, 3rd univ. 240xLED plus ML and conv..... well when I swopped all LED, for example from red to blue, it took the console about a half a second to react, plus on fast programming the console crashed! Nework problems! To slow for rock n'roll!... well ok. I changed from one DP to two DP's, moved one of the LED universes to DP two and I changed the Software from build 1014 to 1053. That helped already a lot, the performance improved.
So far so good, but then: when I ran an effect on the LED's and I did a slow move on the ML they start to shake and do no more nice moves they shake from on position to the next... impossible to accept.
So I changed the universes again, now I run 960chans LED on DP one and the rest on DP two 240LED, plus ML etc. Well the ML are better now, not good but I can live with it, but I'm having the old delay on the LED's again and I have a delay between the two DP's!
Maybe this is all normal, but what can we do about it?

Anyone an Idea?

greetz

Michael
Parents
  • I remember Sean Hoey's quote "If you've got 1000 blue pars at full and you crossfade to 1000 red pars, then you have 2000 crossfades taking place on a DP2000 and it just dies."
    I usually average between 1500 and 1800 channels on my shows when I integrate theatrical conventionals and LEDs into them. This is not always enough to justify jumping to a second DP but I do notice latencies from time to time.

Here is a solution I try but you'll have to tell me if it's even practical. Since I can usually tie into ETC net, I'll usually patch in complete distribution on my DP. For example:

300 Desk channels
    120 LED channels
    12 VL3000s
    8 VL 3500s
    16 Studio Colors
    12 Studio Spots
    20 Sea ChangersSo I would configure each output to have the same distribution...

75 DMX
    30 LEDs
    3 VL3000
    2 VL3500
    4 Colors
    3 Spots
    5 Sea ChangersThis way, I figure that since I control fixtures as groups more often than not, a fade will be distributed on all four outputs. Obviously this only works when I'm using ETCnet and can configure any of the 32,768 DMX channels the way I want them.
    In real world applications however, try to split my fixture groups across two universes since it is still somewhat easy to get 5-conductor 5-Pin DMX and all I have to do is insert a little pair swapper in the middle of a truss on my DMX line.

Does any of this matter much? How much does it matter? Does it even matter that I split my dimmer DMX on multiple DP outputs?
  • I remember Sean Hoey's quote "If you've got 1000 blue pars at full and you crossfade to 1000 red pars, then you have 2000 crossfades taking place on a DP2000 and it just dies."
    I usually average between 1500 and 1800 channels on my shows when I integrate theatrical conventionals and LEDs into them. This is not always enough to justify jumping to a second DP but I do notice latencies from time to time.

Here is a solution I try but you'll have to tell me if it's even practical. Since I can usually tie into ETC net, I'll usually patch in complete distribution on my DP. For example:

300 Desk channels
    120 LED channels
    12 VL3000s
    8 VL 3500s
    16 Studio Colors
    12 Studio Spots
    20 Sea ChangersSo I would configure each output to have the same distribution...

75 DMX
    30 LEDs
    3 VL3000
    2 VL3500
    4 Colors
    3 Spots
    5 Sea ChangersThis way, I figure that since I control fixtures as groups more often than not, a fade will be distributed on all four outputs. Obviously this only works when I'm using ETCnet and can configure any of the 32,768 DMX channels the way I want them.
    In real world applications however, try to split my fixture groups across two universes since it is still somewhat easy to get 5-conductor 5-Pin DMX and all I have to do is insert a little pair swapper in the middle of a truss on my DMX line.

Does any of this matter much? How much does it matter? Does it even matter that I split my dimmer DMX on multiple DP outputs?
Children
No Data
Related