Phoning it in! HogIII control via internet!

How do I control the now totally networkable HogIII family via the ethernet? My grasp of networking is fair, so I'd like to know what the setup would be for this (i.e. where do I look up the IP addresses of the hardware and how to make the settings so I can be on one stage with an internet connection and a laptop and control another show.) Not too complicated, it would seem, but as a relative noob when it comes to that (the curse of the everything happens like magic Macuser) I'd appreciate any expert advice...I figure a router connected to the internet with the respective DP2000 and HogIII and just...um, er....
Parents
  • I'm familiar with Remote Desktop, I've used that as a WiFi remote focus unit between two HogPCs. I guess the setup would then be a console with a PC with HogPC attached and the HogPC would be the server and thus the console the client? Then it would be Remote Desktop to run the server from another location and thus the Hog3 console. I think this is the most straightforward arrangement. I know it sounds strange to do this and not be able to see the show, but on a film set we are often without line of sight to the rig due to set construction, backdrops, etc. Often, our contact with a lighting rig is only by walkie talkie to the gaffer on set or a video monitor, so if one was on another stage it wouldn't be much different than being on the same stage. I was looking into this because a WH3 programmer a couple stages over had taken ill. I was looking for ways to help out the gaffer, thinking that networkable consoles could be a huge help. In the end it is, but the implementation is not as straightforward as I would have hoped. I'll try to set it up today and let you know how it goes. (Let me state for the record that I in no way advocate this as SOP, I think from a safety standpoint alone this setup is inadvisable.)
  • I'm familiar with Remote Desktop, I've used that as a WiFi remote focus unit between two HogPCs. I guess the setup would then be a console with a PC with HogPC attached and the HogPC would be the server and thus the console the client? Then it would be Remote Desktop to run the server from another location and thus the Hog3 console. I think this is the most straightforward arrangement. I know it sounds strange to do this and not be able to see the show, but on a film set we are often without line of sight to the rig due to set construction, backdrops, etc. Often, our contact with a lighting rig is only by walkie talkie to the gaffer on set or a video monitor, so if one was on another stage it wouldn't be much different than being on the same stage. I was looking into this because a WH3 programmer a couple stages over had taken ill. I was looking for ways to help out the gaffer, thinking that networkable consoles could be a huge help. In the end it is, but the implementation is not as straightforward as I would have hoped. I'll try to set it up today and let you know how it goes. (Let me state for the record that I in no way advocate this as SOP, I think from a safety standpoint alone this setup is inadvisable.)
Children
No Data
Related