Timecode oddities

I have recently run into some really strange behavior with the hog3 system and timecode.
I have a main cuelist that the show runs from and an auxiliary list that plays some FX cues using fixtures from the main cuelist. Both lists are triggered from timecode, but never at the same time. I have the FX list set to run through a sequence (lets say 12 sequential timecode 'go's in 45 seconds) and at the last cue, which is empty, has a macro to release the list so the main list regains control over the fixtures.
The problem is the FX list gets caught in a loop and never really releases. It will sometimes just keep looping the last three or four cues, and sometimes it will jump around at the top of the list with the pause LED flickering every few seconds. The fixtures affected by that list also 'tweak out' when they shouldn't be doing anything.
I have done much voodoo with different cuelist options like toggling different combinations of 'reset when released', 'trigger forwards only' and having the RL macro cue triggered either by timecode or an autofollow.
I finally had to resort to disabling timecode/releasing for that list when it reaches the end and re-enabling it later from the master cuelist when needed.
This is all a little cumbersome and non-intuitive to me. It took me a long time and several phone calls to figure out what was happening and I still don't quite get it. It seems that it is fairly easy to mess up the execution logic if one doesn't have all playback option settings just right.
Parents
  • Andris,

Feel free to disagree with me, but here are my thoughts:

There are a few things that I like about our current behaviour.

From an operator's standpoint, I like that I don't have to press play to tell the console to begin listening for timecode. I can always tell that when Enable Timecode is turned on the list will fire cues and when I press Play it will be a go and not just starting timecode.

I also have far more control and ability when working with multiple lists and / or multiple timecode sources. Being able to enable and disable timecode for each cuelist (and especially being able to do this with comment macros) offers huge amounts of flexibility.

When I think about the issue that you're seeing, the behaviour makes sense in my head. I can understand why the console is doing what it's doing. I personally don't think adding a special case for a list being released in its last cue is the best solution because it puts the list into a state where I can't really tell what's going on. I look at the cuelist and see that timecode is enabled, but cues aren't being fired.

What I think might make more sense is to add could options that would enable timecode when the list is played from a released state and disable timecode when the list is released.

What do you think of this?
  • Andris,

Feel free to disagree with me, but here are my thoughts:

There are a few things that I like about our current behaviour.

From an operator's standpoint, I like that I don't have to press play to tell the console to begin listening for timecode. I can always tell that when Enable Timecode is turned on the list will fire cues and when I press Play it will be a go and not just starting timecode.

I also have far more control and ability when working with multiple lists and / or multiple timecode sources. Being able to enable and disable timecode for each cuelist (and especially being able to do this with comment macros) offers huge amounts of flexibility.

When I think about the issue that you're seeing, the behaviour makes sense in my head. I can understand why the console is doing what it's doing. I personally don't think adding a special case for a list being released in its last cue is the best solution because it puts the list into a state where I can't really tell what's going on. I look at the cuelist and see that timecode is enabled, but cues aren't being fired.

What I think might make more sense is to add could options that would enable timecode when the list is played from a released state and disable timecode when the list is released.

What do you think of this?
Children
No Data
Related