Roadhog

www.highend.com/news_events/news/news_detail.asp?news_id=390

Hi tom/Brad/Mitch,
Any chance of a post about the new console and what it can and can't do?

Regards Cormac
Parents
  • I have used several Road Hogs and Full Boars both on shows and in our showroom. Good desk, a little different feel from the other Hog 3 products.

So far it's been very stable even driving lots of LEDs and media servers. Also have not experienced any noticiable lag in processing even when running lots of LEDs with effects engine loops and multiple cue lists. In our showroom we run as many as 20 cuelists at a time and have not had any issues.

As has been stated, having a 3rd monitor would be nice and many are hopeful that will be enabled ala the iPC especially since they came out with wings for it. Would be nice to use the screen in the Road Hog wings with the Road Hog desk. But if you are careful building your views, you can work around it for programming smaller shows.

A couple quirks to get used to. The armrest is pretty non-existant so you have to be careful when resting your wrists on the console as you can start pushing buttons especially your arrow keys without even realizing it. (Turn your bumps off if you aren't using them.) Also you may have to prop the back of the desk up to see the bottom of the screen (command line) unless you are sitting very high or leaning over the console. Works great for standing, but a little shallow for sitting height. Encoder wheels being lighter take a little bit to used to if you are accustomed to the heavy metal wheels. Desk lights go off rather than dim in stand by mode as there is only white. Aside from the screen angle most of those things are minor and if you haven't run the other Hog III products you wouldn't notice them.

As far as storage goes, you can connect an external CD-RW if you want optical storage. I think are biggest issue with storage is that the top USB port won't work with almost any other USB key than the FPS that ships with it. They should be selling those and giving them away as SWAG candy. Otherwise you are stuck using a port on the back which is not as convienent. Also I would highly recomment using multiple flash drives and we have seen those go bad on occasion. I consider them a transfer device, but for back-ups I always go back and burn a CD and write to an HDD or Zip disk. Also it seems there is a big difference in quality of flash drives so I would say don't cheap out, but a good brand name drive.

Remains to be seen how the new style of construction will hold up to the riggers of touring or rental business, but the case design is solid. Overall a great desk for many applications. You get the full effects engine and all the software features of Hog III OS so you can run anything from conventional to DL.3s. A lot of bang for the buck in a compact 1-piece package.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates
  • I have used several Road Hogs and Full Boars both on shows and in our showroom. Good desk, a little different feel from the other Hog 3 products.

So far it's been very stable even driving lots of LEDs and media servers. Also have not experienced any noticiable lag in processing even when running lots of LEDs with effects engine loops and multiple cue lists. In our showroom we run as many as 20 cuelists at a time and have not had any issues.

As has been stated, having a 3rd monitor would be nice and many are hopeful that will be enabled ala the iPC especially since they came out with wings for it. Would be nice to use the screen in the Road Hog wings with the Road Hog desk. But if you are careful building your views, you can work around it for programming smaller shows.

A couple quirks to get used to. The armrest is pretty non-existant so you have to be careful when resting your wrists on the console as you can start pushing buttons especially your arrow keys without even realizing it. (Turn your bumps off if you aren't using them.) Also you may have to prop the back of the desk up to see the bottom of the screen (command line) unless you are sitting very high or leaning over the console. Works great for standing, but a little shallow for sitting height. Encoder wheels being lighter take a little bit to used to if you are accustomed to the heavy metal wheels. Desk lights go off rather than dim in stand by mode as there is only white. Aside from the screen angle most of those things are minor and if you haven't run the other Hog III products you wouldn't notice them.

As far as storage goes, you can connect an external CD-RW if you want optical storage. I think are biggest issue with storage is that the top USB port won't work with almost any other USB key than the FPS that ships with it. They should be selling those and giving them away as SWAG candy. Otherwise you are stuck using a port on the back which is not as convienent. Also I would highly recomment using multiple flash drives and we have seen those go bad on occasion. I consider them a transfer device, but for back-ups I always go back and burn a CD and write to an HDD or Zip disk. Also it seems there is a big difference in quality of flash drives so I would say don't cheap out, but a good brand name drive.

Remains to be seen how the new style of construction will hold up to the riggers of touring or rental business, but the case design is solid. Overall a great desk for many applications. You get the full effects engine and all the software features of Hog III OS so you can run anything from conventional to DL.3s. A lot of bang for the buck in a compact 1-piece package.

Travis Slyter
    Ruehling Associates
Children
No Data
Related