newbie: patching Hog3 PC

New to Hog3, decent @ Hog2. Patching fixtures, as soon as I hit the @ button to assign DMX start address the Fixture Patch window pops up and automatically assigns the fixture the next available DMX channel. How can I manually enter a different start address?
Parents
  • Brooke,

I know the HES/FPS guys are always disappointed to hear about negative experiences with any of the Hog3 family of products.

As far as the Windows/Linux thing goes, the truth may actually be slightly skewed in the opposite direction from what you think (if I'm reading your note correctly - please accept my advance apology if not).

The 'full-size' Hog 3, which was the first product in the family, runs on top of a linux platform. (I believe it is a highly customized version of the kernel used in the Debian linux distribution.)

The DP2000 DMX processor also runs on a linux kernel of some sort.

The Hog iPC and the brand new Road Hog products are both built on top of Windows XP embedded platforms.

However, as of the newest software release (2.1), the console software on all of these products is derived from the exact same source code.

While I am a huge fan of the entire line of products, my personal experiences have possibly been even better with the XPe products than with the original console.

It has appeared over the past year or two - from the outside - that the developers have been able to implement the hardware and system level features much more easily on the windows platform than on the linux kernel that happened to be chosen by the original development team. Things like USB implementation have been easier for them to deal with on the PC and iPC versions.

That being said, there are strong clues around that there could be some monumental leaps in the area of the linux kernel and other such things over, say, the next eight months or so.

The guys at HES/FPS have put themselves on an agressive - but not TOO agressive - schedule for both new product releases and new software releases, and the 2.1 software is going to allow the developers to track down issues and develop new features at a faster pace now that they only have one set of code to work on for all the products.

As a former WH2 user, I certainly encourage you to peruse these forums some more and take a look at how open the development staff is with their users.

It's been an incredible experience for me to take a small part in a forum that has contributed so much to the direction of this console, and I don't know of another platform out there that is so strongly influenced and guided by real-world users.

The grandMA family of products is a great platform. I don't think anyone can refute that, given its track record and the current events it is being used for.

That being said, I continue to feel that HES/FPS are making the right moves for the Hog 3 family to be the best available lighting console, period, now and even more so in the future.

I hope that (rather long-winded) message has answered a question or two.

Regards,

Phil
  • Brooke,

I know the HES/FPS guys are always disappointed to hear about negative experiences with any of the Hog3 family of products.

As far as the Windows/Linux thing goes, the truth may actually be slightly skewed in the opposite direction from what you think (if I'm reading your note correctly - please accept my advance apology if not).

The 'full-size' Hog 3, which was the first product in the family, runs on top of a linux platform. (I believe it is a highly customized version of the kernel used in the Debian linux distribution.)

The DP2000 DMX processor also runs on a linux kernel of some sort.

The Hog iPC and the brand new Road Hog products are both built on top of Windows XP embedded platforms.

However, as of the newest software release (2.1), the console software on all of these products is derived from the exact same source code.

While I am a huge fan of the entire line of products, my personal experiences have possibly been even better with the XPe products than with the original console.

It has appeared over the past year or two - from the outside - that the developers have been able to implement the hardware and system level features much more easily on the windows platform than on the linux kernel that happened to be chosen by the original development team. Things like USB implementation have been easier for them to deal with on the PC and iPC versions.

That being said, there are strong clues around that there could be some monumental leaps in the area of the linux kernel and other such things over, say, the next eight months or so.

The guys at HES/FPS have put themselves on an agressive - but not TOO agressive - schedule for both new product releases and new software releases, and the 2.1 software is going to allow the developers to track down issues and develop new features at a faster pace now that they only have one set of code to work on for all the products.

As a former WH2 user, I certainly encourage you to peruse these forums some more and take a look at how open the development staff is with their users.

It's been an incredible experience for me to take a small part in a forum that has contributed so much to the direction of this console, and I don't know of another platform out there that is so strongly influenced and guided by real-world users.

The grandMA family of products is a great platform. I don't think anyone can refute that, given its track record and the current events it is being used for.

That being said, I continue to feel that HES/FPS are making the right moves for the Hog 3 family to be the best available lighting console, period, now and even more so in the future.

I hope that (rather long-winded) message has answered a question or two.

Regards,

Phil
Children
No Data
Related