newbie: patching Hog3 PC

New to Hog3, decent @ Hog2. Patching fixtures, as soon as I hit the @ button to assign DMX start address the Fixture Patch window pops up and automatically assigns the fixture the next available DMX channel. How can I manually enter a different start address?
Parents
  • Brooke,

I'd be glad to give you my honest, personal opinion, but this isn't a company line and may very well not be the opinion of everyone here.

It upsets me for a number of reasons to see the platform wars that regularly take place regarding the operating systems used on lighting consoles.

• All of the major operating systems have some advantages and some disadvantages.

• What operating system a console runs should be as transparent as possible. You shouldn't be able to tell what's "under the covers" if the system is well engineered.

• Users experience *far* more application crashes and problems than operating system crashes and problems. I'm almost always running 10+ consoles in my test lab and I rarely see operating system crashes. When I do, they are often caused by hardware problems and not operating system instability. The Windows XPe and linux distributions are running only the processes and services absolutely necessary for our application to function.

I've tried to leave specific OS references out of this post so far, but I want to make an example and I'm going to use Windows; not because it's easy to pick on, but because it's widely in use and clearly illustrates my point. I like Windows and think it's a good OS on our products that use it. I make some generalizations here, so please don't nit pick the details and try to just get the overall concept.

There are plenty of people that complain about Windows being slow and unstable. These people are often talking about running Windows on their personal PC. These situations may involve huge registries, lots of background applications running in the system tray, and many running applications. I will gladly admit to being a violator. As I write this, I have 9 apps in my system tray, 14 applications on my taskbar (includnig a big Adobe app and MS Visual Studio), I'm connected to my VPN, my registry is well over 100 MB, and I'm almost embarassed to say that my start menu contains a whopping 28,498 files at 38.4 GB. Yeah, thats GigaBytes. Luckily, this story has a happy ending. With the embedded systems we run on the consoles, all of these factors are completely controllable and much less likely to cause issues or inconsistencies than on a stand-alone PC.

So, my request to those people who fervently praise one operating system and attack others is to calm down and try to keep things in perspective and my advice to those of you hearing these battles is that you use your good judgement and honestly address each individual problem before blaming your operating system.

:soapbox:
  • Brooke,

I'd be glad to give you my honest, personal opinion, but this isn't a company line and may very well not be the opinion of everyone here.

It upsets me for a number of reasons to see the platform wars that regularly take place regarding the operating systems used on lighting consoles.

• All of the major operating systems have some advantages and some disadvantages.

• What operating system a console runs should be as transparent as possible. You shouldn't be able to tell what's "under the covers" if the system is well engineered.

• Users experience *far* more application crashes and problems than operating system crashes and problems. I'm almost always running 10+ consoles in my test lab and I rarely see operating system crashes. When I do, they are often caused by hardware problems and not operating system instability. The Windows XPe and linux distributions are running only the processes and services absolutely necessary for our application to function.

I've tried to leave specific OS references out of this post so far, but I want to make an example and I'm going to use Windows; not because it's easy to pick on, but because it's widely in use and clearly illustrates my point. I like Windows and think it's a good OS on our products that use it. I make some generalizations here, so please don't nit pick the details and try to just get the overall concept.

There are plenty of people that complain about Windows being slow and unstable. These people are often talking about running Windows on their personal PC. These situations may involve huge registries, lots of background applications running in the system tray, and many running applications. I will gladly admit to being a violator. As I write this, I have 9 apps in my system tray, 14 applications on my taskbar (includnig a big Adobe app and MS Visual Studio), I'm connected to my VPN, my registry is well over 100 MB, and I'm almost embarassed to say that my start menu contains a whopping 28,498 files at 38.4 GB. Yeah, thats GigaBytes. Luckily, this story has a happy ending. With the embedded systems we run on the consoles, all of these factors are completely controllable and much less likely to cause issues or inconsistencies than on a stand-alone PC.

So, my request to those people who fervently praise one operating system and attack others is to calm down and try to keep things in perspective and my advice to those of you hearing these battles is that you use your good judgement and honestly address each individual problem before blaming your operating system.

:soapbox:
Children
No Data
Related