Hog III DMX Dynamic Refresh Rate?

I'm currently working with a company that makes a DMX recorder that's giving me fits when I try to use it with the Hog III consoles (Hog III and Hog 3PC).

Their engineer seems to think it has to do with the Hog III either not being set at a high enough refresh rate (mine is currently set at 25, which I think is the default and should be sufficient) or because the Hog could be in what he calls a "dynamic DMX mode". I've never seen such a mode anywhere on the system, and can't find anything now. Any idea? I'm definitely seeing drops in the DMX data, especially when I bring up menus and whatnot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Novick
Lighting Designer
Fastlane Productions
Parents
  • Mark,

Our DMX refresh rate is almost always going to have slight variations, but this is still well within the DMX specification. There are also certain circumstances that can cause brief drops in refresh rate. If you are running lots of concurrent crossfades (or effects) and you then change page, the console sends the data for all of the playbacks on the new page to the DP2000s and they need to process and prepare that data while they're still running any active playbacks. This can cause a brief drop in refresh rate, but these are still usually just a few of frames in duration and still at allowable refresh rates.

You can adjust your DMX refresh rate from the DP2000 front panel or from its properties page in the network window on the console.

I haven't heard of "dynamic DMX mode" before. Can you explain any more about what this is?

Thanks.
  • Mark,

Our DMX refresh rate is almost always going to have slight variations, but this is still well within the DMX specification. There are also certain circumstances that can cause brief drops in refresh rate. If you are running lots of concurrent crossfades (or effects) and you then change page, the console sends the data for all of the playbacks on the new page to the DP2000s and they need to process and prepare that data while they're still running any active playbacks. This can cause a brief drop in refresh rate, but these are still usually just a few of frames in duration and still at allowable refresh rates.

You can adjust your DMX refresh rate from the DP2000 front panel or from its properties page in the network window on the console.

I haven't heard of "dynamic DMX mode" before. Can you explain any more about what this is?

Thanks.
Children
No Data
Related