Hog III DMX Dynamic Refresh Rate?

I'm currently working with a company that makes a DMX recorder that's giving me fits when I try to use it with the Hog III consoles (Hog III and Hog 3PC).

Their engineer seems to think it has to do with the Hog III either not being set at a high enough refresh rate (mine is currently set at 25, which I think is the default and should be sufficient) or because the Hog could be in what he calls a "dynamic DMX mode". I've never seen such a mode anywhere on the system, and can't find anything now. Any idea? I'm definitely seeing drops in the DMX data, especially when I bring up menus and whatnot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Novick
Lighting Designer
Fastlane Productions
Parents
  • Thanks for the quick response.

To answer your question about the whole "dynamic DMX mode", apparently it is some mode that will make it so the DMX rate is not constant. Didn't make much sense to me, but I thought I'd see if such a thing existed and wanted to make sure it wasn't enabled.

The problem I'm having is this - I'm seeing DMX dropouts, which causes the DMX recorder to think that the board has failed and puts it into a mode where it starts sending out its own DMX signal. While great when the board actually dies, I certainly don't want it happening when it hasn't.

As far as having a lot running, I wish that were the case, but I'm seeing these dropouts on basically static looks, so I'm not real sure why that is.

As a somewhat aside, I'm also seeing this same problem with the Jands Eschelon.
  • Thanks for the quick response.

To answer your question about the whole "dynamic DMX mode", apparently it is some mode that will make it so the DMX rate is not constant. Didn't make much sense to me, but I thought I'd see if such a thing existed and wanted to make sure it wasn't enabled.

The problem I'm having is this - I'm seeing DMX dropouts, which causes the DMX recorder to think that the board has failed and puts it into a mode where it starts sending out its own DMX signal. While great when the board actually dies, I certainly don't want it happening when it hasn't.

As far as having a lot running, I wish that were the case, but I'm seeing these dropouts on basically static looks, so I'm not real sure why that is.

As a somewhat aside, I'm also seeing this same problem with the Jands Eschelon.
Children
No Data
Related