Hog III DMX Dynamic Refresh Rate?

I'm currently working with a company that makes a DMX recorder that's giving me fits when I try to use it with the Hog III consoles (Hog III and Hog 3PC).

Their engineer seems to think it has to do with the Hog III either not being set at a high enough refresh rate (mine is currently set at 25, which I think is the default and should be sufficient) or because the Hog could be in what he calls a "dynamic DMX mode". I've never seen such a mode anywhere on the system, and can't find anything now. Any idea? I'm definitely seeing drops in the DMX data, especially when I bring up menus and whatnot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Novick
Lighting Designer
Fastlane Productions
Parents
  • Thank you for the idea, it is something I can try as a stopgap solution.

Typically I don't have any reason to put the splitter before the recorder (normally I am set up with the Hog 3 and the DP at the mix position and the recorder is right there), and would hate to waste one simply to regenerate the signal. But until I figure out a better solution, that may be the way to go.

On a bit of an aside, I do know that I have seen some of the "steppy fade/movement", especially when using Mac 550s (in 16 bit mode) when they're moving slowly using the Hog 3. Could this be caused by a splitter regenerating the signal and causing the rate interpolation algorithms on fixtures that Jason was talking about to screw up? Or is that unrelated?
  • Thank you for the idea, it is something I can try as a stopgap solution.

Typically I don't have any reason to put the splitter before the recorder (normally I am set up with the Hog 3 and the DP at the mix position and the recorder is right there), and would hate to waste one simply to regenerate the signal. But until I figure out a better solution, that may be the way to go.

On a bit of an aside, I do know that I have seen some of the "steppy fade/movement", especially when using Mac 550s (in 16 bit mode) when they're moving slowly using the Hog 3. Could this be caused by a splitter regenerating the signal and causing the rate interpolation algorithms on fixtures that Jason was talking about to screw up? Or is that unrelated?
Children
No Data
Related