Hog III DMX Dynamic Refresh Rate?

I'm currently working with a company that makes a DMX recorder that's giving me fits when I try to use it with the Hog III consoles (Hog III and Hog 3PC).

Their engineer seems to think it has to do with the Hog III either not being set at a high enough refresh rate (mine is currently set at 25, which I think is the default and should be sufficient) or because the Hog could be in what he calls a "dynamic DMX mode". I've never seen such a mode anywhere on the system, and can't find anything now. Any idea? I'm definitely seeing drops in the DMX data, especially when I bring up menus and whatnot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Novick
Lighting Designer
Fastlane Productions
Parents
  • Mark,

I just finished a show with 14 MAC-550s in 16 bit mode and had similar problems. The fixture looks like it is being shaken-up as is moves from position to position correct?

It is basically a probelm with the motors in the fixture itself when set to "FAST". The workaround solution is to "force" the fixture to use "MED" or "SLOW" mode to smooth things out.

On H3 you so this by changing the the "Position Time" using "Track" mode(on right encoder next to Pan + Tilt). 100% is FAST mode, 75% is MED mode and 50% is SLOW mode.

The biggest pain though is that the fixtures then behave as if a "damped" fade path has been applied and add time to the overall fade, so you will need to adjust your fade times to compensate.:angryfire: This is unfortunately true with almost all Martin fixtures.

It is a bit of a pain-in-the-rear, but it works. I would much rather have fixtures that have appropriate sized motors that are powered properly in the fixture, but it was what I had to work with.

Hope this helps.:)
  • Mark,

I just finished a show with 14 MAC-550s in 16 bit mode and had similar problems. The fixture looks like it is being shaken-up as is moves from position to position correct?

It is basically a probelm with the motors in the fixture itself when set to "FAST". The workaround solution is to "force" the fixture to use "MED" or "SLOW" mode to smooth things out.

On H3 you so this by changing the the "Position Time" using "Track" mode(on right encoder next to Pan + Tilt). 100% is FAST mode, 75% is MED mode and 50% is SLOW mode.

The biggest pain though is that the fixtures then behave as if a "damped" fade path has been applied and add time to the overall fade, so you will need to adjust your fade times to compensate.:angryfire: This is unfortunately true with almost all Martin fixtures.

It is a bit of a pain-in-the-rear, but it works. I would much rather have fixtures that have appropriate sized motors that are powered properly in the fixture, but it was what I had to work with.

Hope this helps.:)
Children
No Data
Related