Cloning for Dummies

Hello All,

New to this I may be, however was pretty good at cloning on Hog II.

Hog III now and I can't do it with the 'copy to' syntax.

I can 'copy to' fixtures selected in the programmer to a range of fixtures that I type on the keyboard.

However why can't I just press the group button for the fixtures i want to 'copy to'? ie is there a better syntax than [Group] 'copy to' [new group]?

If I do that the console wants to create loads more groups, for some bonkers reason. well probably a great reason but i don't know what it is...
Parents
  • [quote=RobbieG]If I do that the console wants to create loads more groups, for some bonkers reason. well probably a great reason but i don't know what it is...

III's new "backwards" syntax introduces some long-needed flexibility into the command line. and as great as it is, cloning to and from groups is one of the very very few cases that the new syntax can't accomodate.

When you ask the console to [Group] 'copy to' [new group], it does exactly that: makes a copy of the actual group.

or, to put it another way, if [Group] 'copy to' [new group] were to clone levels in the programmer, how would you tell the console to make a copy of a group??

brad once had a notion of improving this.

so that's the story with that... now...

BEWARE of the Fixture key!

[Group] 'copy to' [Fixture] [new group] does *NOT* result in a successful clone. (as of 1618)

selection order is totally and completely disregarded in this "Fixture Group Clone" operation.

and it hasn't been fixed in any of the 800 or so builds we've seen over the last two years.
  • [quote=RobbieG]If I do that the console wants to create loads more groups, for some bonkers reason. well probably a great reason but i don't know what it is...

III's new "backwards" syntax introduces some long-needed flexibility into the command line. and as great as it is, cloning to and from groups is one of the very very few cases that the new syntax can't accomodate.

When you ask the console to [Group] 'copy to' [new group], it does exactly that: makes a copy of the actual group.

or, to put it another way, if [Group] 'copy to' [new group] were to clone levels in the programmer, how would you tell the console to make a copy of a group??

brad once had a notion of improving this.

so that's the story with that... now...

BEWARE of the Fixture key!

[Group] 'copy to' [Fixture] [new group] does *NOT* result in a successful clone. (as of 1618)

selection order is totally and completely disregarded in this "Fixture Group Clone" operation.

and it hasn't been fixed in any of the 800 or so builds we've seen over the last two years.
Children
No Data
Related