Need help visualizing

All,

I do lighting for fun / hobby. I used to doing lighting for rock band up and down the east coast in the late seventies and early eighties. Mostly club circuit but the band did open for groups like Daryl Hall and John Oates, Toto, Dixie Dregs, Beach Boys, Joan Jett, Steppenwolf, Kansas, and a few others. I got the opportunity to run several large boards back then, but pretty much everything was analog.

I got to meet Alan Owen several times when Varilites first hit the road and was fascinated with the technology ever since. About a year ago, I decided to sell some other toys (you know - men and their toys) before I killed myself (dirt bikes & ATVs) and buy some lighting equipment so I could experiment.

I am using HOG 3PC with a physical playback wing, two 15" ELO touch screens, one 19" LCD, and the HOG keyboard. For lights I have 4 Morpheus Faderbeams, 18 Morpheus Color Rangers, and 2 Coemar Pro Wash LX250. I have 24 desk channels with 16 @ 2.4k capacity and 8 @ 1.2k capacity. I have a friend in the business who lets me use his Par cans for the Rangers and I have several specials (ACLs and audience blinders) as well.

I pretty much put the system together so that I could put on a nice show when the band I used to work with 25 years ago gets together and plays a show. My delima is that I only get to hook everything up once in a blue moon when an opportunity arises.

Are there any inexpensive visualization programs out there that can take the output of the HOG 3PC and display on a screen what the cue would look like? I need something to help me work on my programming skills with the HOG.

Thanks,
Ross
Parents
  • Hi Ross,

Other programs include 'WYSIWYG' and Martin's 'ShowDesigner', though I don't have much experience of these.

I use 'Capture' which is really easy to use and get the hang of. Doesn't use too much processing power either. Simulation is good and it has its own CAD. Check it out at www.capturesweden.com There is a fully functioning demo that you can download (and comes complete with a couple of demo theatres) - the only thing it won't do is allow you to save any changes. The basic version is much cheaper than most of the other programs.

Cheers,

Rob
  • Hi Ross,

Other programs include 'WYSIWYG' and Martin's 'ShowDesigner', though I don't have much experience of these.

I use 'Capture' which is really easy to use and get the hang of. Doesn't use too much processing power either. Simulation is good and it has its own CAD. Check it out at www.capturesweden.com There is a fully functioning demo that you can download (and comes complete with a couple of demo theatres) - the only thing it won't do is allow you to save any changes. The basic version is much cheaper than most of the other programs.

Cheers,

Rob
Children
No Data
Related